evergrey

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Once, my horsemanship mentor was working some cattle (nice big horns on those suckers) and his awesome cutting mare zigged when he expected her to zag. I was sure I was going to have to wade in there and pull his broken body out of the mass of milling bovines, but he hung on like a Cossack, clinging to the horn with one hand, SIDEWAYS alongside the mare, while she ran around bucking. I don't know how he managed it, LOL! He got back up on her, got bucked onto her neck, and then thrown back into the saddle. Really impressive. I got it on video. He made me delete it, haha!

Good thing I didn't have to go in there, because I'm pretty sure those cows would've won easily against me. :P

OSU

http://kyokushinchick.blogspot.com/

"If you can fatally judo-chop a bull, you can sit however you want." -MasterPain, on why Mas Oyama had Kyokushin karateka sit in seiza with their clenched fists on their thighs.

I don't fear cows. I try to eat them as much as possible!

Eat more chicken!!!

The past is no more; the future is yet to come. Nothing exist except for the here and now. Our grand business is not to see what lies dimly at a distance, but to do what's clearly is clearly at hand...Lets continue to train!

Sitting in seiza is something that isn’t taught very well in my experience.

As westerners, we don’t tend to be naturals at it – whereas it is still commonly used in Japan.

More often than not, it is to do with posture whilst sitting in seiza that is the problem.

We are used to sitting back in a chair, so when in seiza, we tend to sit on our backsides. All the weight is then on our heels and our spine curves backward. Not only is this bad for your back, it hurts the tops of your feet and causes the knee joints to blow open.

Correct way to sit in seiza is to not let your bottom quite touch your heels, with your spine straight.

It’s hard at first, but after a while it pays off, as you have a far better weight distribution and your knees and feet stop hurting.

It is also more combatively correct; as it allows you to move more rapidly out of seiza into action, because your centre of mass is more correctly balanced. This was vital in olden days, and could mean the difference between life and death.

In today’s day it is still important imo, as it is part of the larger picture of correct posture, centre of balance and movement, which is vital to making your karate work.

That’s why perhaps (as sensei 8 alludes to); experienced eyes can often spot whether a student has the potential to be any good - just by observing how they sit in seiza.

And then once you have mastered that, you can move on to Shikko or “knee walking” ! :o

Does wonders for your Junzuki!

Sojobo

I know violence isn't the answer... I got it wrong on purpose!!!

http://www.karatedo.co.jp/wado/w_eng/e_index.htm

I've done shikko in Aikido class. I'm pretty decent at that. I can do without seiza, though.

Do you think Karate would be better without it?

If so, I'd like to understand your reasoning why.

Sojobo

I know violence isn't the answer... I got it wrong on purpose!!!

http://www.karatedo.co.jp/wado/w_eng/e_index.htm