• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

The Technics behind a sidekick.

The common rule behind a side-kick is:

1)Point your heel towards the target so that your body is aligned and for greater flexibility and reach.

My question is, do you lean back for a side-kick? I've seen Bruce Lee lean back...

In my view if you lean back, it's harder to have your momentum go forward by following up with other kicks or following up with the hands. Try doing a side-kick leaning back, and then following up with the hands..This would feel slow, since you have to travel a greater distance than if your body was upright....Leaning back is not good for sparring..

HOwever, I believe leaning back generates power..Leaning back also serves as a counter-balance....Your leg is going forward. A backward force must serve as a counter-balance...Therefore if you lean your body back, this counter-balance is achieved, thust having a strong side-kick..

This is only my theory...What do you guys think?

Kinesiologist/Trainer

Black-Belt

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Opinions & tips on the "side kick" have been covered in these previous threads:

http://www.karateforums.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=757

http://www.karateforums.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=322

You can throw a side kick any number of ways in order to "fit" the situation. You would throw a side kick very differently in sparring than in a real attack I am sure!

To generate power in the side kick you can also step behind your kicking leg before executing which adds more forward momentum to your kick.

there is alot of force generated by the hips for side kicks.

you would only lean back if you were kicking pretty high as to get more reach while keeping balance.

i've seen alot of people only use high side kicks at the end of their combinations for this very reason - good finishing technique.

but, you could kick a mid side kick without leaning backwards at all.

• 2 months later...
A sidekick is the most powerful technique the human body can deliver (with the exception of the spinning side kick). To get that power you need to make sure you have a good chamber, push off your grounded foot, and try and keep your bodyweight upright as much as possible. If you lean back to throw the kick then you're counteracting that movement, as well as putting yourself off balance should someone block the kick upwards.

---------

Pil Sung

Jimmy B

I was taught (in TSD) to turn the hip over and point my heal, and point my toes toward the floor slightly. Very effective and powerful kick when done like this. But if I kick higher than waist level, I do lean back to get height on my kick. For sparring, I use a side snap kick, usually off my lead leg.

Laurie F

I've been told to stay upright as much as possible to keep an eye on the target. It's kinda hard on the ribs, but makes sense to me.

It's happy hour somewhere in the world.