• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

finding a karate club (and not finding a Kangaroo, sport)

chopper

Well, new member, first post, blah blah. no welcomes needed.

I recently joined a club and joined by what appears to be a rather unique method in comparison to other clubs - cold calling/door knocking. I see many people dislike the club, GKR, but still I was always considering joining a club, but even in these days of search engines I was never finding one close enough to me. Even more so when I have an nine year old in tow that I am trying to get out doing more activities. The knock at the door in fact got me into Karate and here now.

So, after the knock at the door, as many free viewings as I wanted, even a free trial, I am now a few lessons in (and yes still in jogging bottoms). I have though done some recent web searches under the clubs name and see that the organisation has quite a number of critics. Now being that I knew nothing about Karate other than chopping boards and Chief Inspector Jacques Clouseau, this club seems fine. This feeling seemingly carries over to some others, though there are 'four years of knowing no better' type quotes I have read. None-the-less, I am happy at present, especially when my only other exercise was getting out of bed and now I leave a lesson there feeling I have actually done something physically useful.

Still, reading more and more I really am not a teacher and if indeed I won't be able to progress past green without teaching, they can go fly in the long-term. So I then consider, ok why don't I just change schools now and learn another way, but then, I am having a newbie-good time at the moment.

So my question, how on earth do you decide what a good club is? I have no eye for great teaching, no idea about Dans and only recently read that a black and white belt is a bit of a sham. WHAT do you look for? All I see on their youtube videos is a group of kids & adults having a top time - is that not a priority in this?

I have found searching for online reviews is a bit of a bad method. I own a Ford Car and I bet I could find more moans about them than positive's even though they are one of the worlds most bought cars. It is in our blood to compalin more than praise...

Lastly, please, no sarcasm/disrespecting of the club I am currently at - lets save that for the other forum posts in the forum (and other forums) eh. I can read your comments there.

:up:

white belt/newbie/etc

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I am not keen on the Go Kan Ryu ethos, especially when non black belts are teaching classes without supervision - same issue as a unqualified surgeon doing a minor operation, you just wouldn't let it happen!

Now if GKR only allowed qualified black belts with a minimum of 3 1/2 years experience of the style then I would have no issues. Its the fact that the "instructor" themselves is still trying to learn the basics themselves let alone teach them!

Now when you were searching in your area for martial arts schools did you check out your local sports centres or church halls? There are many very well qualified schools who don't advertise or go door knocking!!!

Think about it if they didn't do the door knocking would the "style" be as big as it is?

Now if you are happy with what your are doing as long as you accept that the chances are you will be unable to defend yourself properly or the fact that you may develop injuries due to your instructor not knowing the correct way of doing the exercise you are performing then just relax forget the bad press on the whole GKR then enjoy and carry on up the levels in GKR

"Challenge is a Dragon with a Gift in its mouth....Tame the Dragon and the Gift is Yours....." Noela Evans (author)

Dobbersky, thanks for the reply.

One of the moans about GKR is that they use schools and not dedicated property (ie school floors are maybe not designed to take the rigours of Karate), and may hurt more. I also cannot see a church having comfy floors, but does the floor matter?

Still, I viewed the one form of karate being done at my local leisure centre and I left as a noticed students being left alone who clearly were the ones needing the help. Where I am I least get some 121 guidance throughout.

On your last paragraph, maybe more crucially, how do I know when someone is qualified. What am I looking for as obviously the black belt is clearly not enough. There is no point going to something not designed for its purpose, but how do I know I am not moving from one rotten apple to another?

white belt/newbie/etc

Chopper PM me your location I'll see if I know someone in your area that I can recommend!?!

"Challenge is a Dragon with a Gift in its mouth....Tame the Dragon and the Gift is Yours....." Noela Evans (author)

Welcome chopper :D

It kinda depends on what you want from Karate. If its just the exercise and the training time with your kid then GKR may be the thing for you. If you want self defense, I'd be a little more wary. Although that's not to say there aren't good GKR schools out there.

WRT not having a dedicated location, few MA schools have that. Majority will train out of school gyms, sports halls, church halls etc. Sprung wooden gym floors are great surfaces to train on anyway :D

Where abouts are you? And what do you want from your training? Maybe the forum members can help :)

Its hard to decide on a school without having any prior knowledge but check out the "Getting Started in the Martial arts" section as loads of great advice on there, e.g. this thread: http://www.karateforums.com/how-should-one-go-about-choosing-a-school-and-instructor-vt38789.html

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

dwx - thanks. btw I have added my location, my bad on not before apologies.

in regard to what I want, it needs to be with the boy mainly. but at the end of it, whenever that is, I would rather have learned something useful. I understand from the Sensei that basically the idea is only to defend yourself, only hit the other side if you have to, until you can get into a position where you can leave the probem. I could say that I am being taught something I will probably never use and, I don't mean this with disrespect, it makes me sound a bit like a coward?

Still, I want this to be something to get me fitter, give us both confidence. I hate the monotony of gym work.

I shall check out the link, thanks.

white belt/newbie/etc

dwx - thanks. btw I have added my location, my bad on not before apologies.

in regard to what I want, it needs to be with the boy mainly. but at the end of it, whenever that is, I would rather have learned something useful. I understand from the Sensei that basically the idea is only to defend yourself, only hit the other side if you have to, until you can get into a position where you can leave the probem. I could say that I am being taught something I will probably never use and, I don't mean this with disrespect, it makes me sound a bit like a coward?

Still, I want this to be something to get me fitter, give us both confidence. I hate the monotony of gym work.

I shall check out the link, thanks.

For the purposes of spending time with your child and getting exercise, it should be fine. As for being useful, I have been less than impressed with most of the GKR I have seen, but I will disclose the fact that I have only ever seen GKR in videos online. As for sounding like a coward--any respectable martial arts school is going to teach you that your primary goal in self defense is to escape, even if it means not fighting when you otherwise could. It isn't cowardice, it's called "taking the high road" and "living to fight another day", so to speak.

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

Hi

Not too sure if you tried this school but did a google search to find this one

http://www.medwaykarate.co.uk/

Its Wado Ryu/kai so should be excellent for self defense