• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

woud you ever use a flashy move on a self defense situation?

i would if it were in my best interest.... never for a strike... too fancy.. maybe a kick.. but not some really fancy scissor kick or anything

the fanciest id go would be to get in close and if the guy has good sences to jump around my ogoshi throw, im not taking chances, make it uchi mata, or harai goshi at least...

"ok, well i must warn you, im an orange belt on karateforums!"

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I use whatever works. That's generally more practical stuff. MAYBE you could get something flashy to work... but in the name of all that's holy, DO NOT try one of those stupid flying wheel kicks where you end up on the ground even if you knock your opponent down, and end up on the ground looking like an idiot, and presenting your back and neck to be stomped if you miss. Honestly I don't think they should be a part of tournaments either, because the landing is so dumb.

Anyway, if he's rocked, why not elbow strike him and then knee him in the head? Something like that. Stomp his knee, punch his throat... I wouldn't fight like I would at a Kyokushin tournament, and those tend to not be all that flashy, even.

http://kyokushinchick.blogspot.com/

"If you can fatally judo-chop a bull, you can sit however you want." -MasterPain, on why Mas Oyama had Kyokushin karateka sit in seiza with their clenched fists on their thighs.

Do the "Ameri Do Te" defence sequence!!!!

"Challenge is a Dragon with a Gift in its mouth....Tame the Dragon and the Gift is Yours....." Noela Evans (author)

For a fancy technique...I'd do the backflip-kick Bruce Lee did when he battled O'hara in Enter The Dragon...that was sweet.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

Fancy/flashy moves are usually less effective than straight forward basics. I would opt to keep it simple.

The past is no more; the future is yet to come. Nothing exist except for the here and now. Our grand business is not to see what lies dimly at a distance, but to do what's clearly is clearly at hand...Lets continue to train!

Now that I got that out of my system. I'd forgo any "fancy" techniques because, imho, "fancy" techniques can only lead to problems; problems that I'd rather avoid.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

Do the "Ameri Do Te" defence sequence!!!!

Ameri Do Te is awesome! Enter the Dojo! :lol:

Stomp the groin...........restomp the groin....

the kill face.....

"Challenge is a Dragon with a Gift in its mouth....Tame the Dragon and the Gift is Yours....." Noela Evans (author)

• 2 weeks later...
how about back kicks,axe kicks,high kicks?

Most people wear Jeans or formal pants, now these are rather restrictive in the "high" of any possible kicks etc that "could" be done. Also if your are one of these youths that likes to wear there pants "below" the waist (PANTS ON THE GROUND), you got more chance of tripping up than landing a descent kick to someone's head

I can understand your quest but you'll find that knowledge and experience leads to kicking low as there is more balance and less chance of the kick being caught.

What you need to look at is that in the movies anyone can look good and of course they'll use all the fantastice methods of kicking and aoerobic but this is all choreographed for the scene. In a real situation you haven't got a clue what your attacker is going to do until they start doing it.