• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

woud you ever use a flashy move on a self defense situation?

I would probably opt more for keeping it simple and effective as opposed to trying to pull of something flashy to try to impress an audience. And I've trained spin hook kicks to the extent that I feel comfortable doing them in sparring. I imagine if I'd "rocked" someone in self-defense, I'd probably look at that point to make an exit, or otherwise secure my safety.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have never heard of wrist locks being described as "flashy". Indeed, they tend to be about as non-flashy of a movement as one can get; if a wrist lock is a "flashy" technique, then conservative technique choice leaves you with little more than standing mutely with spittle dripping from your lip.

Are you familiar with some sort of exotic wrist locking techniques that I am not?

"Anything worth doing is worth doing badly." - Baleia

I think I understand what he's saying though. We see wristlocks trained improperly and out of context so much that they appear ridiculous to those who do not understand them.

My fists bleed death. -Akuma

Also notice he said wrist throws. In Aikido and Aikijujutsu, they are practiced in a manner that looks like a throw. This is because the uke has trained in ukemi and knows where to throw himself in order to release the hold. The tori doesn't go full force either. What results appears to be a throw, but is actually just a way of simulating a break, while putting the least stress on the uke's joint as possible while still using realistic movements.

Also there is the idea of catching a wrist from the extended part of a punch and locking it. Good luck on that. More realistically locks occur after entering a clinch range, striking, disrupting balance and controlling the rest of the limb. It also helps to strike in such a manner as to make them look away from the limb being attacked.

My fists bleed death. -Akuma

nice post,but yeah i never trained wrist trows,like those weird aikido moves,but to the topic i always imagined like a person that trained for a lot of years coud make those kicks efective in real cenarios,carry on

If the military, police, security professionals, and body guards aren't using it...I'm not sure I'd use it in public. Then again, if there isn't anyone around to see my spin kick, I probably wouldn't do it then either. The untold story in action movies where someone spin kicks their way to coolness is the part where they get led off in handcuffs. Regardless of the situation, I want control over this person. I need to tackle, grapple, or get behind them. In a safety or life-threatening situation, I can't gamble on a knocking someone out with a single blow. If they're legitimately stunned or knocked silly, they aren't a big enough threat to me for anything but closing the distance and maintaining control.

"A gun is a tool. Like a butcher knife or a harpoon, or uhh... an alligator."

― Homer, The Simpsons

I would use what I need to use at the moment I feel it's needed. If that's a single leg takdown, then so be it. If that's a jump spinning outward crescent kick, so be it.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

I would use what I need to use at the moment I feel it's needed. If that's a single leg takdown, then so be it. If that's a jump spinning outward crescent kick, so be it.
I don't disagree. But, its coming to the point finding the jumping outer crescent kick is needed. I'm not saying it can't ever happen, but is surely rarer than the single leg takedown.