• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

woud you ever use a flashy move on a self defense situation?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't consider wrist breaks to be fancy, they're just a part of standing grappling.

But no, I would not use a spin kick in self defense.

My fists bleed death. -Akuma

I don't consider wrist breaks to be fancy, they're just a part of standing grappling.

how about if you already had punched him and he was rocked?

how about if you already had punched him and he was rocked?

This is the best time to apply a joint manipulation. Tuite is predicated with a stunning motion to actually allow the movement to be successfully applied.

On the general topic, I try to never say never. It is HIGHLY doubtful I'd ever do any high risk maneuver such as a spinning kick, ect. in a sd situation. Particularly in my situation since I don't train those tactics enough because I don't see them as a viable response option for me in a realistic sd scenario.

Bear in mind, what is fancy for one individual might be routine for another. Now, this still does not mean that the tactic is a good tool for sd; however, if an individual is comfortable with even a high risk tactic he or she has a much higher likelihood of actually pulling it off than someone who has a low level of comfort with it.

Still, I would lean towards the idea of no. For me, this also means (as I hint at above) I won't spend alot of time training that tactic.

Never say never but I can't imagen using a spinning kick for self-defense. I was in a situation years ago. I used a jab, front kick, wrist lock and o soto gari (a basic throw.) Long story on the situation but it involed a drunk and who knows what else guy, going up a full flight of stairs and several attempts to re-enter the building. It sucked. It was basics that got me through.

The mission of my blog is to explore the connection between the skills learned in the dojo as a student of the martial arts and the skills that lead to a successful life. https://www.lifeskillsfromthedojo.com

https://www.facebook.com/lifeskillsfromthedojo

Only ever used basic "short" techniques and basic throws in self defence situations. I have never seen an opportunity to use exotic techniques ever. Except in a Jean Claude Van Dame Movie!!!

"Challenge is a Dragon with a Gift in its mouth....Tame the Dragon and the Gift is Yours....." Noela Evans (author)

I agree that wrist locks and throws aren't "flashy" and I would use them in a self defense situation. As far as spinning techniques, the only time I would ever use a spinning technique in a self defense situation would be if I happened to already be spinning--like if I was breaking free of a grab from behind, for example. If I was in front of them already there is absolutely no reason for me to turn my back on them to kick them.

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

I think tallgeese is on the money with "never say never" and it depends on what you're comfortable with. A switch spinning back kick would be considered flashy by most but we use them tons in my school (one of my instructor's fav techniques) and train them a lot inc. in our self defense work so personally I would consider one if the situation called for it.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius