• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I could use some advice...

A $100.00 should cover you most places unless you're in a MAJOR metropolitian area. Even BJJ schools in the Chicago suburbs will rarely run over one and a quarter.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm afraid if you're looking for non-violence you are in the wrong place. While we talk of peace and tranquility and gentleness, the simple fact is we all are practicing fighting arts. They are designed with only one purpose. That is to tear apart the human body in a manner that is efficient, effective, and sometimes cruel. Humans, by nature, are violent beings. There has never been a time of total peace in all of human existence. It is through embracing and learning to control that violence that YOU can attain inner peace. There is no martial art that can hand it to you on a platter. Like anything worth having, it takes a great deal of strife, work, and time.

Good luck.

The answer in Martial arts is Aikido and/or Tai chi but don't think that these are totally passive as they can be as deadly as the other arts. There are 'no' strikes in these arts but an experienced practitioner can see many under laid in their forms.

Regards Kempo, it pre dates karate in its introduction into the States especially in Hawaii and I completely understand that it bolts on to many arts, but how many schools practice pure unadulterated Kenpo (if its not pure Kenpo, it shouldn't be called Kenpo any more)

"Challenge is a Dragon with a Gift in its mouth....Tame the Dragon and the Gift is Yours....." Noela Evans (author)

Today many people think of a ground system when they thing of Ju-Jitsu because of the proliferation of the Brazilian systems. Look into some of the more traditional style Ju-Jitsue. One stye Ive been very please with is Yoshitsune which has both a traditional Japanese system and a modernized combat system. A system like this is more technique driving and less sports driven and may offer exactly what you're looking for. As one of the other posters stated, there will be great variation in instructors and that can only be judged out by you.

The mission of my blog is to explore the connection between the skills learned in the dojo as a student of the martial arts and the skills that lead to a successful life. https://www.lifeskillsfromthedojo.com

https://www.facebook.com/lifeskillsfromthedojo

Hello,

Thank you for visiting KarateForums.com.

Unfortunately, we have removed a post from this thread in error. Please find it quoted below. I apologize for the inconvenience.

Thanks,

Patrick

Kenpo/Kempo is an excellent art but there does seem to be a lot of "Master Ken" Instructors (Ameri Te Do i - see Youtube) about in this style.

Best of all. Worst of none.

.... Thats like saying poor people deserve to be raped.... I disagree!

Here's the clip that they are referring to:
:)

Thanks,

Patrick

Yeap that's one of the videos, not too sure if it is a series or similar but would love the DVD quite similar to "The Foot Fist Way"

"Challenge is a Dragon with a Gift in its mouth....Tame the Dragon and the Gift is Yours....." Noela Evans (author)