• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Starting from scratch

DWx

You've just moved into a new neighborhood. There's no school you can (or want) to train in and you've always wanted a school of your own. So you decide to set one up. You have no students and no assistants. What's your game plan? How do you go from zero students to a full dojo? You've found your venue, its a [insert here] and you've got 30 days till your Grand Opening. What's your plan of action?

(this is purely hypothetical, no I do not want to set up my own school :P)

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Honestly, I probably would have started finding students to train at my home or in a park before I invested in a venue. Word-of-mouth is going to be the best advertisement but if we use your scenario I would say that I would get a big banner printed up with my dojo name and website on it, and I would make the website as clean and professional as possible, and I would also set up a Facebook account for the dojo. There are many sites for reviewing businesses out there, so I would probably set up a page for my dojo on as many of those site as possible and whenever I get people in for free introductory lessons I would probably refer them to my website or Facebook page where there would be links to review me. I would probably also hand out flyers at cultural events and martial arts movies, if there were any at the time.

Isn't marketing grand? :P

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

Ok maybe I shouldn't have said Grand Opening as that suggests a money-making venture.

And I never said the venue couldn't be a local park or your garage/yard :P

Demonstrations are always a plus as well. I got hooked on my first class thanks to a demonstration at a local festival type thing. I'd also consider getting an out of town expert in to start you school off. Maybe your coach or someone you're affiliated with.

I'd also reach out to rec centers and leagues to see if I could work some sort of reciprocal arrangement for the first year or so. For myself, I'd also make sure I had someone else to run the finances of the place. If I did it, not only would it be a disaster, but I probably wouldn't end up charging half the people on the mat.

Numbers are good, but number that can actually pay are even better. Market to higher end markets, hospitals, businesses, ect. If you can start getting clients from these areas you're more likely to have people willing to lay down cash for something like ma's. In conjunction with that, really sell privates. Once you're in the upper end clientele you've got a base that will pay to get one on one time to advance more rapidly. Maybe set aside a day or morning for just that.

As a hypothetical exercise, this is probably one of the more useful I've taken part in, never know when this sort of thing will come in handy :lol:

Demonstrations are a good start. Rec Centers, YMCAs, existing gyms with an aerobics area are all good places to run classes (even just part time while you run your school. If you're a self-defense related school, you've got to find clients to teach to. Businesses, local law enforcement, and things of the like are good word-of-mouth clients and they've actually got money. If you're a sport-related art, then you have to set up a tournament.

If local regulations don't exist, I recommend something like the Gracie Challenge. You know, just fight local people for money to prove the worth of your art. My first investment would be one of those wacky, waving, inflatable, arm-flailing tube men...those rule.

"A gun is a tool. Like a butcher knife or a harpoon, or uhh... an alligator."

― Homer, The Simpsons

If local regulations don't exist, I recommend something like the Gracie Challenge. You know, just fight local people for money to prove the worth of your art. My first investment would be one of those wacky, waving, inflatable, arm-flailing tube men...those rule.

Can this be done in modern America?

My fists bleed death. -Akuma

Pretty sure you can buy those tube men things anywhere :D

If such a thing as the San-Do competition can exist and be sanctioned in two states, I'm pretty sure you could find SOMEWHERE to do something like that :P

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

Love this question. About 10 years ago I decided that one day I wanted to open up my own school. I drew out floow plans, class offerings, etc. I knew exactly what the mission of my school would be.

Two years ago I got married and moved to the small town my wife is from. After working in my field for a year, I decided there is no time like the present to follow my dream. Starting from scratch is exactly what I did- no student no assistant.

My ideal location would have been something in the historic downtown area of my town (very high traffic and lots of events like open houses and parades held in the event, second to that (and a terminal plan) is a large industrial space like a warehouse, and lastly a strip mall. I found a few places downtown with reasonable rent, even if not ideal space I could make them work. Without a history with my business I was unable to land the properties. So I decided I need to start smaller and be creative.

The first thing I decided I should do, after some reading about general marketting (see gary Vanerchuck or Seth Godin) and martial arts specific marketting, was carve out a nitch for my school to stand out from the semi-traditional shotokan school, the mma gyms, and the sport TKD school in the area. Since I work in law enforcement I decided to focus on practical self defense. Secondly, as a competitive triathlete and crossfitter i wanted to focus on conditioning. These would be the points i would use for my marketting campaigns that would begin BEFORE I opened my doors. I also have another focus but can not do it yet because I do not have the space.

In the mean time I searched for a space that already has customers. I looked at schools, rec centers, dance studios, and gymnastics gyms. The same TKD teach is teaching at all of the rec centers in the area so that was a no-go. The schools here are horrible for getting in touch with and getting things approved. I connected with a dance studio. This seemed perfect because it should have soem built in clients- girls dance and their brothers need something to doo too. Now all in one place. Even better I got some of the girls in class on the days they are not dancing.

30 days before opening I reached out to the newspaper for an article, they ran it but honestly it sucked. Next, I put together flyer and put them on cars in parking lots and apartment complexes, I attended the open house for the dance studio, I paid $35 to be a vender at a charity event and did a raffle for free lessons. I also got flyers into one of the non-public schools.

At 30 days before opening I would also be looking at insurance.

In order to attract more students, I did not charge a registration fee. This back fired and with 15 students signed up, three showed for the first day of class.

Now my focus is on creating feeder programs. I am setting up one, two, and six weeks women's only self defense seminars at the local rec centers. This does not conflict with the TKD program. I also set up a 6 week bullybuster program at a local non-public school. Both of these will let the student develop a relationship with me and upon completion i will offer them a coupon for a discounted month with me.

Now that it is christmas I am offering retail and membership sales.

That is how I spent the last 4 months working from scratch. I have not yet broken a profit. The tutition I make covers my rent and then I spend about $100 on marketting and supplies.

UNSCARED

Great post Lrtucker!!! and welcome to KF :)

Is there anything you wouldn't do if you had to do it again or would warn people about doing?

To everyone: What kind of class structure would you guys consider? Who are you targeting (adults and/or children, fitness freaks or self defense nuts)? How many classes are you going to lay on at the start? What happens if no-one turns up to your first class?