• advertisement_alt

Uncommon Strikes

sensei8

Keito [chicken-head]

Seiryuto [ox-jaw]

Kakuto [crane-head]

Kumade [bear-hand]

Washide [eagle-hand]

These extremely advanced strikes are often very neglected. These techniques more than likely stemmed from the influences of Kung-Fu during the early years of karate's development. They occur only in very high-level kata. Two of the strikes, kumade and kakuto, do not appear in any Shotokan kata at all, that I'm aware of. These attacks, or if used as blocks, are useful to strike an opponent's vital areas.

What value would you place on these uncommon strikes?

Uncommon because there must be other ways to strike areas on the body with more common strikes, such as shuto [knife hand], empi-uchi [elbow strike], uraken [back fist], and/or tetsui [hammer fist].

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Keito [chicken-head]

Seiryuto [ox-jaw]

Kakuto [crane-head]

Kumade [bear-hand]

Washide [eagle-hand]

These extremely advanced strikes are often very neglected. These techniques more than likely stemmed from the influences of Kung-Fu during the early years of karate's development. They occur only in very high-level kata. Two of the strikes, kumade and kakuto, do not appear in any Shotokan kata at all, that I'm aware of. These attacks, or if used as blocks, are useful to strike an opponent's vital areas.

Uncommon because there must be other ways to strike areas on the body with more common strikes, such as shuto [knife hand], empi-uchi [elbow strike], uraken [back fist], and/or tetsui [hammer fist].

Seiryuto, Kakuto are the two of these listed that I've had the most experience with. While I've used the other two, they are very situational and hard to keep the hand formed for. They have a use and a place and fit very well if striking the correct target. A personal favorite would be koken as well.

Sometimes we'll spend a whole class working on hand formations other than the closed fist. We tend to start with shutos and move onward from there.

Kisshu fushin, Oni te hotoke kokoro. A demon's hand, a saint's heart. -- Osensei Shoshin Nagamine

Keito [chicken-head]

Seiryuto [ox-jaw]

Kakuto [crane-head]

Kumade [bear-hand]

Washide [eagle-hand]

Ok I had to Google these so I hope I understand them right. (Hope you don't mind me weighing in as a non Karateka). But the kumade and kakuto are definitely in my TKD forms which is weird if they don't appear in Shotokan kata (as we copied most of them). As are the keito and washide. Not seen the seiryuto part but I don't know all the tul yet. Used to use kakuto in Tai Chi too.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

Keito [chicken-head]

Seiryuto [ox-jaw]

Kakuto [crane-head]

Kumade [bear-hand]

Washide [eagle-hand]

Danielle referred to Tai-Chi, which I once studied. When doing Single Whip, one hand was in a certain position that resembles both Kakuto/crane-head and Washide/eagle-hand to me. I was taught that it can be used to block with, but it's also a fingers strike to one eye of the opponent. (I even remember an old VHS of Peyton Quinn, which included him saying that an opponent in a sparring match used this [illegal for the match] strike to poke him in the eye.)

When I used to practice knifehands against the higher end of a makiwara board I had at home, I'd use what's called Seiryuto/ox-jaw, but just thought I was using the strike in what was the most comfortable way to me. I didn't realize it was a separate strike.

Kumade/bear-hand is called "the Lion's claw" at a dojang I studied sparring in last year, and is used against the face, just as I'd learned the bear-hand is used by Googling it.

A really interesting post, Bob. :karate:

~ Joe

Vee Arnis Jitsu/JuJitsu

I know for sure that all of these were in the various animal forms I studied in chuan fa. As far as referring to them as advanced...not sure about that. I think "specialized" would be a bit more appropriate. They, unlike many other strikes, are far less useful on the overall scale. In my opinion, this is why the strikes are so often overlooked.

As you know, attaining skill with any movement takes tireless practice and effort. Not only in attaining but also in maintaining that skill. I think most practitioners would rather their time be spent on moves that are appropriate in a greater range of situations.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

I know for sure that all of these were in the various animal forms I studied in chuan fa. As far as referring to them as advanced...not sure about that. I think "specialized" would be a bit more appropriate. They, unlike many other strikes, are far less useful on the overall scale. In my opinion, this is why the strikes are so often overlooked.

As you know, attaining skill with any movement takes tireless practice and effort. Not only in attaining but also in maintaining that skill. I think most practitioners would rather their time be spent on moves that are appropriate in a greater range of situations.

Isn't anything "specialized" another way of saying "advanced"? I spoke advanced in my OP because these strikes are not taught to Kyu level students in Shindokan, but only to Dan level students for one reason or another.

Keito [chicken-head]

Seiryuto [ox-jaw]

Kakuto [crane-head]

Kumade [bear-hand]

Washide [eagle-hand]

Danielle referred to Tai-Chi, which I once studied. When doing Single Whip, one hand was in a certain position that resembles both Kakuto/crane-head and Washide/eagle-hand to me. I was taught that it can be used to block with, but it's also a fingers strike to one eye of the opponent. (I even remember an old VHS of Peyton Quinn, which included him saying that an opponent in a sparring match used this [illegal for the match] strike to poke him in the eye.)

When I used to practice knifehands against the higher end of a makiwara board I had at home, I'd use what's called Seiryuto/ox-jaw, but just thought I was using the strike in what was the most comfortable way to me. I didn't realize it was a separate strike.

Kumade/bear-hand is called "the Lion's claw" at a dojang I studied sparring in last year, and is used against the face, just as I'd learned the bear-hand is used by Googling it.

A really interesting post, Bob. :karate:

Solid post Joe!! Glad to see you again, I've missed you sir!!

:bowofrespect:

Heya Joe :)

Yeah that was the move that came to mind for me. We used to do single whip as a block with the kakuto and a strike with the washide.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius