• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Niafanchi/Tekki Shodan: Opening Movements

sensei8

Here's my own personal interpretation of Tekki Shodan opening sequence.

I'm confronted by three attackers, one on the left, one one right and one in front. All three already have their hands on me while restraining me. I execute a Yoi, which pulls my left and right attacker together. They resist which creates kuzushi (unbalancing) needed for a footsweep.

I then step to the right and execute a right-foot footsweep, then armbar. That is what you're seeing at the 0:15 mark. An armbar. My left hand is pulling his arm to full extension, my body is the fulcrum, and my right hand is pushing him further off balance while he has one foot in the air from my footsweep.

And when he trips and falls while I'm executing this armbar, his arm will snap at the elbow.

BTW,

One thing that all Karate styles can agree on about the Tekki series is that it's a close-quarter kata. As such it's my opinion that there are no blocks. Any that resembles a block is actually an armbar or armlock. This explains for the low horse stances. In Judo, standing armbars and armlocks are executed in the horse stance to increase leverage and control.

Also, I left out all the Japanese names for techniques since not everyone here trained under the Japanese system.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Also, I left out all the Japanese names for techniques since not everyone here trained under the Japanese system.

I appreciate this! Thank you! :)

• 2 weeks later...

As you work a kata the moves or bunkai will become your own as you begin to see what "you" can do with them. Think of any target that level your hand would hit going in that direction. I have had a Sensei tell me that when you aim at the area between the upper lip and the nose you will hurt your opponent when your strike anywhere in that general area: nose, mouth, break a few upper teeth. Are you going lower what is there ...... a throat maybe......

You can be taught what others have been taught and incorporate them for your own. You can also explore what a move is telling you it is doing. And remember not every move in a kata will speak to everyone. Don't think I will ever forget the first time I visualized putting my right hand behind an assailants head after breaking their nose and pulling their head in to hit it again with an elbow.

More specifically I'm referring to only the right HAND at 00:16 of this link...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBKAZ3WxX78&feature=related

:)