• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Niafanchi/Tekki Shodan: Opening Movements

sensei8

For those karateka that are KF members, I'd like to propose a question:

Iyho, what is the application of the opening movements to your immediate right? More particular, I'm asking more about the HANDS.

I'm more than aware that the interpretations will fall across a plethora of opportunities, but I'm willing to chance that, especially when we're speaking about Bunkai.

Thank you in advance for your responses

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Iyho, what is the application of the opening movements to your immediate right? More particular, I'm asking more about the HANDS.

I'm more than aware that the interpretations will fall across a plethora of opportunities, but I'm willing to chance that, especially when we're speaking about Bunkai.

Assuming youtr Nahachin is the same as mine...where there is a crossing step then lowering of the center of gravity and both hands come from about the groin straight upwards in front of the torso to center of the chest level...that's movement is breaking a grab/bearhug from behind.

If you don't want to stand behind our troops, please..feel free to stand in front of them.

Student since January 1975---4th Dan, retired due to non-martial arts related injuries.

In ours we start by bringing our left hand up to head level, open, and then striking it with our right fist, then opening the fist and bringing the hands down to groin level, then we step over before and then step out for the haito-uke/empi-uchi and te-uke.

If you are just referring to the beginning up to the step over, we use that as a block/head-grab/backfist counter, then forcing the head down to strike with hiza-geri to the face, then fumi-komi to their knee.

If you are referring to the haito-uke/empi-uchi and te-uke, we use that as blocking a punch on the outside and striking the ribs beneath it or the head above it, followed by grabbing the head and applying either a choke or a neck crank.

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

Assuming youtr Nahachin is the same as mine...where there is a crossing step then lowering of the center of gravity and both hands come from about the groin straight upwards in front of the torso to center of the chest level...that's movement is breaking a grab/bearhug from behind.

Quoting myself here..and noting I made a mistake...what I was talking about is Nahachin Nidan, not shodan...oops!

First hand movment of SHODAN is either a right outside open handed block or a strike (take your pick) to the throat followed on the next step by a grasp to the back of the head and an elbow smash.

If you don't want to stand behind our troops, please..feel free to stand in front of them.

Student since January 1975---4th Dan, retired due to non-martial arts related injuries.

• 1 month later...

We used it as a strike to the throat, and then that hand was used to grasp the back of the head to pull them into an elbow strike, you reload (ours is more pronounced than his) and you threw him and did a punch as they were going down.

Martial arts training is 30% classroom training, 70% solo training.

https://www.instagram.com/nordic_karate/

In the Wado-ryu version, the right hand performs shuto-uchi to chudan (knife hand strike with tips of fingers pointing upward).

The keisetsu for this is often demonstrated as a brace against the front of the shoulder joint.

Sojobo

I know violence isn't the answer... I got it wrong on purpose!!!

http://www.karatedo.co.jp/wado/w_eng/e_index.htm

In the Wado-ryu version, the right hand performs shuto-uchi to chudan (knife hand strike with tips of fingers pointing upward).

The keisetsu for this is often demonstrated as a brace against the front of the shoulder joint.

Sojobo

I Practice The Wado Version of Naihanchi, so same as Sojobo-san

"Challenge is a Dragon with a Gift in its mouth....Tame the Dragon and the Gift is Yours....." Noela Evans (author)

More specifically I'm referring to only the right HAND at 00:16 of this link...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBKAZ3WxX78&feature=related

I practice shotokan, although I think that is irrelevant when it comes to application principles. Tekki or Nihanchi

Personally my most common interpretation of the opening moves are as follows:

Defence against a wrist gap. opponent grabs your right hand with their left. grasp opponents wrist with your left and as you step to the right (your opponents left side). You pull your opponents left arm to your left hikite. This releases your right arm which coupled with your right leg is used to unbalance and throw your opponent.

Difficult to explain, but easy and elegant to execute from multiple positions and senarios.

Tom Runge