• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Rank, Knowledge, and Experience!

In your own words, could you please define how Rank, Knowledge, and Experience differs?

Or...

Are they all the same?

Let the discussion begin, and thank you.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think MP summed it up pretty darn well.

The start of the whole process is knowledge. It's the base from which you'll draw experience.

To elaborate just a bit, I'd say that experience goes in levels from training at your own school, the types of training you've done there on to how many other mats you've been on and the experiences and training there. All the way to actual use of your close quarters skills in live application. All are valid and should provide some sort of feedback.

Experience will then feedback into knowledge. This is where knowledge gains real value, when you can look at it thru the hindsight of experience. This is where you'll see if your knowledge is getting you where you need to be.

Rank is exactly what MP said, and the least important of the three.

Just because someone has one does not necessarily mean they have all three.

You can have the rank without the knowledge or experience.

You can have the knowledge without the rank or experience.

You can have the experience without the rank or knowledge.

However, we should all strive to experience as much as we can, so we can improve our knowledge. With that comes rank if you want it, but the real rank should be how you see yourself.

Experience, to me, would be what is gained when applying the knowledge you learn. The nice thing about experience is that it comes from successes and failure. It can come from within or without the training halls, as well.

Knowledge is what you gain through learning, I guess. More or less, what you are taught by peers and teachers. I think it would usually come from a structured learning setting, but I suppose could come otherwise, like the "school of hard knocks."

Rank is simply a denotation of seniority amongst peers, whether that is decided by tests that display a knowledge level achieved, or through something like an election process, or simply through the veneration of age, as some cultures place high value on.

I think knowledge and experience really kind of integrate with each other. You use your knowledge when you encounter tasks to perform, and your experience builds from what you learn via the results. Then, you evaluate your experience, and gain knowledge from it.

Rank can be more of a visual decoration, and is not always indicative of one's experiences or knowledge.

Does that all make sense?

Rank is man's way of measuring things to me Rank just means you've been here longer and taken more tests

Knowledge is being able to instil everything you have learnt into everything you do, it becomes one with you and a true test of knowledge is when you have to teach, infact you only really start learning something once you begin teaching it.

Experience, this one is awkward but it is related to time, time to work on everything that is within your arsenal. Being able to know what works and what doesn't. The ability to apply techniques in various situations without the need to question it as you "know" what fits best into which situation. It also feeds from knowledge.

Finally, Knowledge and experience are intertwined, as they feed from each other. Whereas Rank is man made to give a hierarchy notwithstanding power to the founder creator of the school

"Challenge is a Dragon with a Gift in its mouth....Tame the Dragon and the Gift is Yours....." Noela Evans (author)

Just because someone has one does not necessarily mean they have all three.

You can have the rank without the knowledge or experience.

You can have the experience without the rank or knowledge.

However, we should all strive to experience as much as we can, so we can improve our knowledge. With that comes rank if you want it, but the real rank should be how you see yourself.

Solid post!!

:bowofrespect:

Some very nice and solid posts, and I want to thank you for your response to my question.

Of the three, imho, Knowledge is paramount. Experience is tantamount. Rank is only needed in the context of a class/test/formality situation!

Some very nice and solid posts, and I want to thank you for your response to my question.

Of the three, imho, Knowledge is paramount. Experience is tantamount. Rank is only needed in the context of a class/test/formality situation!

AGREED!

If you don't want to stand behind our troops, please..feel free to stand in front of them.

Student since January 1975---4th Dan, retired due to non-martial arts related injuries.

quote]

I disagree with this statement. How do you have knowlege if you lack experience. Knowlege without experience is more of an idea or theory, rather than something practical like knowlege. I think knowlege is what happens when you combine information with experience.

Cheers,

Patrick