• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Bruce Lee's Science and Art of Expression Confusion

It sounds like your goals are not matching your chosen art. Nothing against where you're training at all, but it sounds as if you spotted a difference in what their focus is and what you want. Neither is wrong, but you've got to make them match.

Schools like what we're talking about can be harder to find, but are out there. It's worth looking into. Conversely, look at changing arts altogether. Maybe try something outside the karate spectrum.

Another option would be to start training outside your school with like minded students. You've been studying at least 3 plus years by the sound of it. You'll have proper technique by now, just focus on alternate training layout. One that addresses the concerns we're raised. There's plenty of research out there to help you. Just keep safety in mind above all else.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

yea masterpain I agree it feels that way that it would be illogical, however, I don't know any other way :(

I love shorin ryu with all my heart it is the style I will always have a deep connection with, but to be surrounded by schools that do not practice the actual art of combat along with the philosophy aspect of martial arts.......:(

you guys want me to change styles but tho I wouldn't mind a little cross training because I do love MA as a whole however I want to be a Shorin Ryu Martial Artists and a strong wise one at that, how can apply my techniques if all I got are strangers and scarce dojo's? this sucks I want enlightenment I'm so tired of being held back when I know I can do better if the sensia's would just stop with the constant meduim contact sparring :( I have the techniques down flat....when I'm sparring meduim, but if I fight at medium I will always fight at medium why can't they see that in their student. :bawling: :kaioken:

Martial Arts is 90% Mental and Only 10% Physical.

look guys I'm just a Shorin Ryu Martial Artist Seeking the philosophy, the lifestyle, and combat skills of an honorable warrior who protects his friends and family ok, yes self defense techniques are clever, quick, and good to get out of jams but to be in a fight lasting more then 30 seconds, sorry for sounding arrogant but under those circumstances running would be a pretty good idea.

Martial Arts is 90% Mental and Only 10% Physical.

First off, we don't WANT you to change your style, or are we telling you to do so. We are merely offering suggestions that might help you see your training differenly, and expose you to different things.

Barring that stuff, if you want to train for those practical combat applications, then there are some things you can do. Like tallgeese mentioned, get some like-minded individuals together and help you out. They don't even have to be a member of a club or school; they just have to be willing to work with you and help you out. Next, take the kind of things that happen when you are actually in a fight, and work scenarios to train how to realistically deal with those things. You will see what works, what doesn't work so well, and you can drill things from there. It will be interactive, and involve a partner who is actively resisting what you do, which adds realism, and hence some of that pressure to test things out. And you'll get more used to working under that pressure.

Totally agree with all the advise being given

If you want to "test" your fighting skills in a "safe" enviroment, then there is always the "Cage" there are plenty of events going on around the place you just need to find one in your area. ask your Instructor he/she might know how to get you enroled.

Good luck my friend.

"Challenge is a Dragon with a Gift in its mouth....Tame the Dragon and the Gift is Yours....." Noela Evans (author)

In a more technical vein..

You could try a reset technique - I don't recall if there is a specific term for it. Specifically, learn to, when you feel adrenaline winding up, do a rote movement to force yourself to relax your shoulders, breathe, and regulate how adrenalized you are. A certain amount of being stepped up on adrenaline is unavoidable and helpful, but if you get too wound up, your performance is going to go in the trash.

Pause a moment to smell things, taking a long breath and making some movement to relax yourself, such as rolling your shoulders or clearing your spine. This relieves some of the tension you noted, and pulls your adrenaline level to a more manageable point. This might be a good time to check the lay of the land, too, since you're going to want to check for exits and hazards at some point anyways.

According to Miller and MacYoung, who both use and advise forms of this, this also tends to cause a lot of conflicts to end right there. They decline to hypothesize why, but I suspect the action is recognizable as something done for very good reason by people who have a lot of experience with fighting.

"Anything worth doing is worth doing badly." - Baleia

Without being able to know your exact thoughts inside your head, it sounds to me as if your issue is about confidence as much as anything else. You probably go to class and train a few times a week, and feel that kata is not going to prepare you for the real world.

But are you doing anything for yourself BESIDES classroom training? And I don't mean kata practice at home. You should also be training to be physically fit. How many chin-ups can you do? How often do you do them? Any weight training? Do you speed walk or run? Every time I work out I consider myself to be "doing karate", because I believe my karate will benefit from it. If you are in good physical condition you can stand up to a punch or kick better, and you can also throw that punch or kick better too.

Secondly, how often do you train with a heavy bag? (Bruce Lee did a lot of that!) If the only access you have to one is in your class, get one for your home. Throwing air punches is not going to give you a feel for what landing a punch feels like.

My last thought, the fact that you are training at all gives you more of an advantage than most other people you may be likely to get in a fight with? How many "regular Joe's" throw hundreds of punches every week when they are not actively involved in mugging someone? I'd guess, not too many. But you do!

If you are physically fit, you will gain confidence to withstand a hit. With your practice, you will know how to hit and what it feels like to land the punch or kick or elbow or whatever.

• 1 month later...