• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

BJJ strategy and theory

Hi,

How do you think build your game?

I've been learning moves and positions. One idea (strategy) has been to get in to top position - full mount, back mount. We have not had much submissions, but I am not worried about that.

I read an article http://damagecontrolmma.com/4-principles-that-changed-my-grappling-game/. As far as I understod, main point was to control opponents arms.

So do you have a strategy - principles - or some kind of game plan?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Learning BJJ is a long and difficult road. You need to begin by learning and repeatedly drilling moves with no resistance. Your body needs to build up "muscle memory."

Once you've trained some basic moves for about a month, start doing drills that add some resistance. After that, you can do them with full resistance.

I would normally suggest adding the resistance earlier, but without a qualified instructor, you would be building bad habits. Remember practice does not make perfect. Perfect practice makes perfect.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

Again, I agree.

When you're new to BJJ, it's a bit overwhelming. The goal of the white belt isn't really strategy, especially early on. It's grasping the basic body mechanics you'll use thru you're career.

There's plenty of time to get your head around the game (undoubted important) as you gain time on the mat.

Maybe strategy is a wrong word. Maybe game plan? Or a learning plan would be a better word.

I think you need to have a goal. One strategy - a very common one - is to fight for positions - to get to full mount or back mount. Like if you are in side mount, try to get in full mount. Or if you are trapped in full guard, try to pass to side mount and from there to full mount. (Not so much about submission, but first learn to get positions.)

Other idea or strategy might be to control your opponents head or hips or arms like one article. I don't know what is good, but when you are trying something it's a little less confusing - not so much is happening:-)

There is a small posibility to remember something from rolling if you focus on something. I think I need easy things like keep your arms close and fight for positions first - after securing a mount or a guard, I might try some submission - not that I know many:-)

Judo I practise on my own, but for BJJ I joined a basic training class. (It's very good to have some one teaching and a lot of different opponents to roll with.)

Submissions will come, I've been training for a year now and its still overwhelming...lol That being said, the constant mantra from my submission wrestling coach is "position before submission". If you are even alittle bit shaky on your position then that submission just ain't happening or it'll be tougher than it has to be.

I think I see what you're talking about.

One thing we use constantly to sharpen certain aspects of our game, and to drill chains into our heads, it to roll for position. It's a drill that limits one person to a given position, say closed guard. The other is allowed to pass by the means he has at his disposal. If the guard guy submits the passer, you reset. If the passer gets by, you reset. This way you rep a handful of movements until you can chain them and link them and understand them deeper. This is going to be the start of what you're talking about I think.

If nothing else, they are great drills for your game. Then, make them harder. have one persone stuck in mount or side to start with the goal of escape. Or do only passes to your off side to improve that aspect.

Thanks tallgeese and all for replies,

In our BJJ class seems to be a "system" on rolling.

First they teach a position and how to hold it or how to get in to it.

Then they teach how to escape.

Then they might teach a submission from it.

Then you have controlled sparring - you start from - let's say side mount that just was taught --- and you do just the moves - try to escape or try to hold it.

Final roll is that you can use all the techniques taught in the class BUT nothing else.

It's one way of building up techniques and learning to use them little by little in different situations.