• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

New gi....Hirota or Shureido?

karate girl

Hi all,

I am at the stage where I need to buy a new gi. My Kamae premier has just about finally given up the ghost after 6 years. So now I have a dilemma on my hands. I don't want to purchase another Kamae Premier (the fit of the jacket is quite large). I really want to get a Japanese gi...mainly for the superior quality and just the fact they look so damn nice!

So my choices have come down to... a Hirota purchased from Ichiban International or a Shureido via Kamae. The only requirement is that I want my name in katakana on the lapel of the jacket (above the label) and also on the trousers (by the label).

Does anyone know where on the gi Kamae embroiders katakana? I cannot find any info on their website as to where they embroider names. Also, I am 167cm tall should I get a 165cm or a 170cm Shureido? I have heard they come up quite large...but I do want to account for shrinkage!

On the side of Hirota, has anyone here ordered from Ichiban International? They look like a very reputable site, but I do like to check out websites before I order from them. Also the delivery time is 4-8 weeks...I don't know if I can wait that long, especially as Christmas might delay delivery until New Year.

So basically...where does Kamae embroider katakana? What size should I get in Shureido? Has anyone has experience of Ichiban International?

Thanks guys! :)

• 4 months later...
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I don't have personal experience with either brand, but I have met several people (including my instructors) who swear by the Shureido gi (which are embroidered where you want, by the way). I have heard that they come a little big and as long as you wash in cold water and line dry it shouldn't shrink much, so I would think you should pick the 165cm one.

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

All the top guys in Uechi seem to wear Shureido, of course with it being an Okinawan brand they may be a bit biased (Uechi being an Okinawan style). When I advanced far enough in Uechi to warrant the purchase of a "real" gi, that was the gi my sensei told me to get. I had no idea how much a nice gi can change the way you feel when you are doing a kata. I finally figured out how the advanced students got such a resounding snap on their techniques :lol:. I have tried a few other brands and I haven't personally found anything else that feels as good as a Shureido gi to me. I actually just purchased my third Shureido gi today. I have yet to wear one out but I needed a second traditional cut Gi (my third is tournament cut).

As others have said before, I highly suggest purchasing a half-size smaller than you normally might get from other manufacturers. Shureido sizes are much larger than other brands. I am 6'2" and about 220lbs and I find the 5.5 to be the perfect size for me. On the traditional cut you will probably have to have the pants hemmed, I did anyways, but on the tournament cut I didn't need any alterations at all. The perfect combo for me is the tournament cut pants with the traditional cut jacket in a size 5 1/2.

• 3 years later...