• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Lineage

Tonight my instructors instructor was at our school. And he was telling about who trained him, and who trained his instructor. I found it REALLY interesting to find out my lineage as a student. So, I just thought I would ask all of you what your lineage is, as far as MA goes.

Ps. 144:1

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My style was founded in 1966 by former Grand Master Chew Choo Soot.

He learnt karate during WW2 from an officer of the Japanese military. The officer knew Master Chew was a proffesional body builder and in return for his instuctions the officer agreed to teach him karate.

Master Chew opened dojo's all over the world with the help of his son. My club was opened in 1967. Shihan Spice ran the dojo and eventually passed down the title of Shihan to my sensei, Shihan Corner :D

"Given enough time, any man may master the physical. With enough knowledge, any man may become wise. It is the true warrior who can master both....and surpass the result." - Tien T'ai

My stand up lineage goes back thru a couple of generations to the Juko Kai organization and also to Oyata of Ryu Kyu kempo. I couldn't tell you past that.

My BJJ heritage goes thru the Nova Uniao group and is listed in the jiu jitsu thread.

my Lineage goes to ME!!! I am the founder of my style lol

I think I put a thread on here about lineage before

"Challenge is a Dragon with a Gift in its mouth....Tame the Dragon and the Gift is Yours....." Noela Evans (author)

TODE SAKUGAWA 佐久川 寛賀 (1733-1815)

BUSHI MATSUMURA 松村 宗棍 (1797-1889)

NABE MATSUMURA Nabi (c.1860-1930).

SOKEN HOHAN (1889-1982).

KUDA YUICHI (1928 - 1999)

DENNIS MILLER, GREG OHL, RON LINDSEY, JIMMY LEE

ME

If you don't want to stand behind our troops, please..feel free to stand in front of them.

Student since January 1975---4th Dan, retired due to non-martial arts related injuries.

For Shorin-Ryu (nicely documented):

Tode Sakagawa-->Bushi Matsumura-->Anko Itosu-->Chosin Chibana-->Shuguro Nakazato-->Eddie Bethea-->Richard Poage-->Me

For Shuri-Ryu (tends to be contested):

Tode Sakagawa-->Bushi Matsumura-->Anko Itosu (and others)-->Choki Motobu-->T'ung Gee Hsing-->Robert Trias-->Joseph Walker-->Me

My Judo lineage is a little confusing because I learned from two different people, and I don't remember who taught it to their instructors in the first place :P

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

BJJ: Carlos & Helio Gracie-->Rickson Gracie-->Pedro Sauer/Tony Rinaldi-->me

Shotokan (Kwanmukan): Funakoshi Gichen-->Byung Jik Rho-->George Anderson-->Bob Magnusun-->Me

Chuan Fa (poekoelan tjimindie): Willy Wetzel-->Barb Niggle (sp?)-->Dale McGinnis--> me

Chuan Fa (poekoelan teii): John Kinn-->Dale McGinnis-->me

Aiki Jujitsu: Trias Society (specifics unknown to me)--> George Anderson -->Michael Dunphy/Ben DeLeon-->Bob Magnusun-->me

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

I think it's hard to look at lineage in a linear fashion. If I were to do so, it would go from Oyata to Mike Hurst to Tim Jones to myself.

However, over the years I've had influence from a broad range of teachers and styles. While not enough from any one place to claim them as part of my lineage, I've taken concepts and techniques from all over.

My fists bleed death. -Akuma

Mines a bit confusing as my own instructor trained under a load of different people but ultimately it goes back to FGM Rhee Ki Ha and from him, directly to Gen. Choi Hong Hi.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

My Shotokan lineage is on my site at seisui.weebly.com. Basically, Funakoshi-Okazaki-Al Gardner-Jerry Joles and his affiliated students-me. However, I also hold rank in Moo Duk Kwan and my MDK teacher also studied Chinese Martial Arts. I've trained in Judo, as well. So, like many people I suspect my direct lineage ignores many of my budo influences.

"Honour, not honours." ~ Sir Richard Francis Burton

http://oronokarate.weebly.com