• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Do you talk about it or not?

Judobrah: I'm not going to start any fighting, I just mean that I wish that they would stop with the threats and do something already because in my whole life, I've never fought one person more than once. After fights, the people involved usually try to avoid you after word and that's all I want. Believe me I hate fighting out of defense, it hurts! I just want it to be over with already but again I'm not going to be the one who starts anything. I appreciate your concern though.

“Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless - like water. Now you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup, you put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, you put it in a teapot, it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend.”

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
I think the answer is yes. I'd discuss it with a core group and dissect it. Here's the thing, don't just set around and tell "it was so cool" stories, or simply high five and congratulate one another.

You really have to look at each incident as an incident debriefing. From preassault to clean up. Break it down to the minutia and each decision point that came along.

Was there a reason that things happened as they did? Did you perceive the situation correctly? Was it a proper response? Could it have gone better? Why or why not? Where there other options? Could they have worked better? how can you make the same response better next time?

You get the idea. It's a learning experience, even when it's for real.

Soild post!

If it does happen (I hope for your sake everything has by now calmed down) use it as a learning experience.

A loss is not really a loss unless it is repeated!

"We did not inherit this earth from our parents.

We are borrowing it from our children."

• 2 months later...

Tell your instructor if you are in a scrap, ASAP. I tell my students to call me at home if they need to. I also tell them not to fight if at all possible.

As for your problem with bullies - this is my advice as a cop for six years and a high school teacher for twelve - try your damndest to avoid the fight, but if push comes to shove don't make jokes, laugh or look around, it makes you look weak and nervous (it's OK to be weak and nervous, but why show it). Then fight like there's no tomorrow. If it 2 or 3 guys bugging you they won't hold back or fight fair so you shouldn't either. I've seen more fights won because someone was just a little crazier than the other guy and wouldn't give up. You want to be the crazier (mentally tougher) guy. And hit hard.

"Honour, not honours." ~ Sir Richard Francis Burton

http://oronokarate.weebly.com

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'd tell my instructor.

I'd dread it, if I knew I could have avoided it but let my anger get the best of me, but still I would tell them.

Actually, that's helped me stay out of a potential fight. Last Christmas season there was almost an incident at Walgreens around the photo booth, haha. People started yelling and cussing and getting all worked up! My first thought was "oh no, if I get in a fight I'm going to be in so much trouble with my instructors!"

Thankfully things calmed down.

The best part is that a week or two after that incident, the woman who had been nasty to me ran into me (in a big city, no less) and apologized for her behavior. We shook hands and that was that!

If I did have to fight, however, it would most likely be a case of self defense, in which case I think my instructors would want to know what happened, and would do their best to advise me, both on how to protect myself better next time, and how to avoid the situation next time.

Besides, a couple of instructors and a number of students at my dojo are law enforcement officers... I am quite sure that if I were involved in an incident where the police got involved, they'd know before I even limped into class... heh.

http://kyokushinchick.blogspot.com/

"If you can fatally judo-chop a bull, you can sit however you want." -MasterPain, on why Mas Oyama had Kyokushin karateka sit in seiza with their clenched fists on their thighs.

• 1 month later...
Lets say you get into a school scuffle. Nothing serious but rather an after school fight. Do you tell your instructor/sifu/trainer about it or not?

yes i would tell my school instuctor about it,i feel it would be better to tell him or her rather than not to.

keeping fit keeps you healthy.Karate is excellent way to keep fit and learn self-discipline