• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Do you talk about it or not?

Lets say you get into a school scuffle. Nothing serious but rather an after school fight. Do you tell your instructor/sifu/trainer about it or not?

“Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless - like water. Now you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup, you put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, you put it in a teapot, it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend.”

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the answer is yes. I'd discuss it with a core group and dissect it. Here's the thing, don't just set around and tell "it was so cool" stories, or simply high five and congratulate one another.

You really have to look at each incident as an incident debriefing. From preassault to clean up. Break it down to the minutia and each decision point that came along.

Was there a reason that things happened as they did? Did you perceive the situation correctly? Was it a proper response? Could it have gone better? Why or why not? Where there other options? Could they have worked better? how can you make the same response better next time?

You get the idea. It's a learning experience, even when it's for real.

I agree, as a substitute teacher I have seen may share of scuffles, nothing serious, but if things escalated it could have been bad.

I have had students at the dojo ask questions about fights in school. We always preach awarness and deescaltion techniques especially in a school setting where defended yourself physically will land you a nice long suspension.

Yes here also. Your instructor needs to know these things and talk to you about what happened.

If you don't want to stand behind our troops, please..feel free to stand in front of them.

Student since January 1975---4th Dan, retired due to non-martial arts related injuries.

Thanks for the responses, everyone. Nothing happened as of yet but there's a group of kids who don't like me too much and often threaten me with violence. Talking has done little if anything and as stupid as it may sound, I almost just wish they would already attack me because usually once something like that happens it won't happen again.

The problem is these kids are big...I'm not joking when I say they must have at least 80lbs on me but whether or not I win, they probably would just leave me alone from that point on.

“Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless - like water. Now you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup, you put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, you put it in a teapot, it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend.”

Thanks for the responses, everyone. Nothing happened as of yet but there's a group of kids who don't like me too much and often threaten me with violence. Talking has done little if anything and as stupid as it may sound, I almost just wish they would already attack me because usually once something like that happens it won't happen again.

The problem is these kids are big...I'm not joking when I say they must have at least 80lbs on me but whether or not I win, they probably would just leave me alone from that point on.

dont do it!just show him/them that your not afraid and if you think violence is going to solve anything you are wrong,violence just creates more violence if you figth them they will just create more grudje to you

just chill and everything will be ok

I would. Its good to be open and honest with your instructor about these things, and it can lead to a good evaluation of what happened, how, and why. A good learning experience in things such as what to do differently, what to work on, how to avoid the sitution in the first place, and other facets of the fight you may not have thought of.