• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Why I Quit Karate

robothat

You'll regret it one day. I respect your reason for not going. It must be diffucult, having a ankle problem in martial arts.

However people who quit martial arts ussually regret it. Nothing can really beat them

'a man who say's he is not afraid of dying is either a liar or a ghurka' - Field Marshal Sam Manekshaw

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I don't care what you practise, but do practise. It keeps your physical condition. If you think that karate is too embarrancing - take up a new style - or byte the bullet. You'll strengthen your foot.

Make goals that you can follow and something that you like - but practise als the difficult things.

Try to have fun:-)

• 1 month later...

I have my shortcomings as well - balance, suppleness and age (55). I believe that if you have trained in a martial art for 3 years it becomes part of you for the rest of your life even if you never train again.

My Sensei once told me that we in karate are all the rejects. Here in South Africa at school level, rugby, soccer and athletics were the prime draw cards. What was left were the guys like us that took up martial arts.

Take heed. You learn much about yourself, strenghts and weaknesses in martial arts.

Cry in the Dojo. Laugh in battle.

• 2 weeks later...

Though my balance is fine I know how you feel about your short comings. I quit karate 5 years ago and now that I have joined up again in a new dojo and new style I went from being a brown belt back to being a white belt and not being able to preform the way I use to. So trust me when I say I know how it feels to give it your all and still not be where you want to be, but it sounds like its your shoes that are giving you the problems. You should ditch them and start training again, give it a few months and see where you end up.

I agree with what everyone else has said, find a way to comfortably practice. Either through some medical help, your (potential) sensei, ditching the inserts etc. As you've read, many of us have overcome our own physical shortcomings. I have degenerative discs in my spine and dead nerves in my left leg but I still practice. It is your decision though. After years of practice, I could not imagine my life without karate.

• 2 weeks later...

I won't restate what everyone else said (all good advice), but what I always liked about MAs is that there is an element of dedication that is acknowledged along with the skill element. One element doesn't necessarily outweigh the other. For example, person A is really athletic and learns a new kick in 3 lessons. Person B has a bad knee and it takes them 3 months to properly perform the same kick. In baseball, football, etc, person A may be the focus of the coach but in MAs person A has shown nothing other then athletic ability yet person B has shown commitment and faced adversity... person B has shown the qualities that built character and define a leader. Picking yourself up when you want to quit is tough but it pays off. Good luck to you.