• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

what to do against a "leaner"

Last Friday night during some randori I was coupled with a"leaner". By that I mean he was leaning over almost excessively why trying get grip. I couldn't get any thing on him except for a single leg/ ko ouchi gari combination and a uchi-makikomi. Other than that I couldn't do anything. Its like his legs were brick man lol. I have sparred this type before but not this bad. Any judoka/bjj players experience this? Any tips?

In fighting, be it judo, jiu-jitsu, or any other form, it's not about what you want. It's about taking what the opponent gives you. You named two techniques that worked well. You were taking what the opponent was giving you. The key is to continue doing it until the opponent attempts a new tactic. If it works, why change it?

That said, in this situation it's important to circle. Circle one way, then the other. You're looking for the point where your opponent stops moving with you. That's the chance to enter. From that point I pummel up to an over the shoulder or high collar grip and turn. Because the opponent is off balance forward (into you) you can easily pull him onto your hip for koshi garuma, o goshi, uchi mata, tai otoshi, seio nage or any other forward throw.

The key is that your opponent will have to react to stop it. Then you do a rear throw such as o soto gari and ko soto gari. You could also drop as you turn and do a double or single leg (illegal in judo comps).

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Last Friday night during some randori I was coupled with a"leaner". By that I mean he was leaning over almost excessively why trying get grip. I couldn't get any thing on him except for a single leg/ ko ouchi gari combination and a uchi-makikomi. Other than that I couldn't do anything. Its like his legs were brick man lol. I have sparred this type before but not this bad. Any judoka/bjj players experience this? Any tips?

In fighting, be it judo, jiu-jitsu, or any other form, it's not about what you want. It's about taking what the opponent gives you. You named two techniques that worked well. You were taking what the opponent was giving you. The key is to continue doing it until the opponent attempts a new tactic. If it works, why change it?

That said, in this situation it's important to circle. Circle one way, then the other. You're looking for the point where your opponent stops moving with you. That's the chance to enter. From that point I pummel up to an over the shoulder or high collar grip and turn. Because the opponent is off balance forward (into you) you can easily pull him onto your hip for koshi garuma, o goshi, uchi mata, tai otoshi, seio nage or any other forward throw.

The key is that your opponent will have to react to stop it. Then you do a rear throw such as o soto gari and ko soto gari. You could also drop as you turn and do a double or single leg (illegal in judo comps).

Good advice. The circling idea sounds good. Didn't even think of that. Was so focused on getting the throw rather than taking what he gives me and working him a little so I wont have to try as hard.

You must become more than just a man in the mind of your opponent. -Henri Ducard

You can heavily influence what he's giving you as well. Getting him to step to set up the single or double is a wrestling staple. Granted, I'm no judo player, so most of my takedown work is more along the wrestling lines, but by cutting angles, giving and removing pressure, you can get an opponant to present a leg for attack.

Then art form to it is coordinating that with your under hooks or arm drags.