• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Beware of the "Dojo Bunny"

I've found that anything other than friendly relationships in the dojo can be far too distracting for the involved students as well as disruptive to the other people in class. Mind you I've seen relationships work out in these instances but they seem to be the exception rather than the rule. The key to that seems to be that neither person is an instructor, thus not put in a position of power and not target for any sort of accusation of playing favorites because of perceived or actual attraction.

just my two cents

Matt Gilliard

Shodan- Yoseikan Aikido

Shodan- Goshin Jujitsu

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You are correct in your statements, but I think there is a difference here between casual dating among the students and the dojo bunny as described. ;)

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." George Orwell

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I've seen quite a few in my days. Some girls go and they are just there for a boyfriend. usually I high ranked instructor or senior student. It is quite humerous. I've never seen any instructors hook up with one though. HEHE

2nd Degree black belt in Kenpo Karate and Tae Kwon Do. 1997 NASKA competitor-2nd place Nationally in Blackbelt American Forms. Firearms activist!

• 2 weeks later...

Hehehe...I'm reading this post and all I can think of is Elmer Fudd singing "Kill the wabbit, kill the wabbit..."

Heheh...ok, sorry bout the rant. We've had a few dojo bunnies at our school...they lost interest very fast, fortunately.

Wolverine

1st Dan - Kalkinodo

"Shut up brain, or I'll stab you with a q-tip"

"There is no spoon."

i've noticed that too. The explanation could be that as time passes the training gets harder and without motivation it's hard to cope with it. So the "dojo bunnies" go home because they finally realise it's easier to get a date outside the dojo and they won't have to work like hell for it. :D

• 2 weeks later...
We haven't had any at my school, but my Sensei is over 50, so that might explain it. In addition, all the black belts at the club are married and had girlfriends already when they started at the dojo.

The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step.

-Lao-Tse