• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Patrick Wilson

Vagabond

Right now I am a 23 year old male who is relatively new to the martial arts. I trained for 2.5 years in Capoeira (a little in Brazil). After I moved away from the city I was in I decided to change martial arts to something more practical (Capoeira has a special place in my tanden though). The only options were Kenpo, Shotokan, and Goju-Ryu. I checked out the Dojo and decided on Shotokan. The reason being that I truly wanted to study Kyokushin Karate, but there is none to be found, and I felt Shotokan (they way it was practiced at this Dojo) would be the best preparation for when I could.

I have studied Shotokan for 4 years in December, and currently hold the 3 kyu. I have competed in a few tournaments, and truly have an appreciation for the traditional Japanese ones. After 1.5 years of Shotokan I picked up Judo training through a friend's Uncle who was trying to establish a club. I enjoy Judo a lot, but as it requires me to travel to a different town I only go once a night for 2.5 hours. So far I have not competed, I just enjoy the techniques.

I also use to box when I was in High School. Mostly training and sparring, I had no amateur fights. I also took a boxing conditioning class in College recently.

When I am not doing martial arts, or school I like to either watch movies, read philosophy, or practice parkour and gymnastics.

All of these activities are relatively new to me. While I was in my youth (until my junior year) I was very overweight (5'10" and 247 lbs). I quite playing online video games, got a job, started body building (no longer an activity of mine), and grew 2 inches. I enjoy the Do just as much as the Jutsu in Martial arts, and I look forward to learning from many of the members in this forum.

Cheers,

Patrick

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Welcome to the forum vagabond. When looking at new clubs, don't so much look at the style , but at the quality of the instruction at the club.

Andy

If you believe in an ideal. You don't own it ; it owns you.

Welcome to the forum vagabond. When looking at new clubs, don't so much look at the style , but at the quality of the instruction at the club.

Andy

The meaning of this statement is lost upon me.

Cheers,

Patrick