• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

What other style of combat meshes well with Shotokan?

Inclined

Between the ages of 11-14 I did Shotokan training and received the rank of brown belt with 2 stripes (which is a rank below black belt). I stopped going because I was consumed with the various athletic teams I dedicated most of my time to.

I am now 24 and have started going back to the original dojo in which I began to get my black belt. I am finding that I remember the beginning and intermediate katas very well and figure I'll be able to re-learn everything that has left me and attain my black belt within 3-6 months.

Looking forward to the future I know I'm going to continue my study of martial arts once I receive my black belt in Shotokan. My question is what other style(s) of combat would you recommend would fit well with the techniques my body is used to with Shotokan???

I am 5'11'', 165lbs and would consider myself an athlete (coordinated with quick feet/hands). People have recommended Muay Thai and Jiu Jitsu to me, but don't back it up with any facts of why. If anybody could help out that'd be great. I am open to anything: boxing, wrestling, Muay Thai, Jiu Jitsu.

Thanks for the help!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Between the ages of 11-14 I did Shotokan training and received the rank of brown belt with 2 stripes (which is a rank below black belt). I stopped going because I was consumed with the various athletic teams I dedicated most of my time to.

I am now 24 and have started going back to the original dojo in which I began to get my black belt. I am finding that I remember the beginning and intermediate katas very well and figure I'll be able to re-learn everything that has left me and attain my black belt within 3-6 months.

Looking forward to the future I know I'm going to continue my study of martial arts once I receive my black belt in Shotokan. My question is what other style(s) of combat would you recommend would fit well with the techniques my body is used to with Shotokan???

I am 5'11'', 165lbs and would consider myself an athlete (coordinated with quick feet/hands). People have recommended Muay Thai and Jiu Jitsu to me, but don't back it up with any facts of why. If anybody could help out that'd be great. I am open to anything: boxing, wrestling, Muay Thai, Jiu Jitsu.

Thanks for the help!

In less than a year you have gotten back to the point you were at 10 years ago, without any training in between, and you're already going to be allowed to test for blackbelt? That's an impressive statement, to say the least!

To answer your question, I would really prefer you answer mine; what is your martial arts goal? If you want to compete in MMA then the answer of "what meshes well with Shotokan" is going to be totally different than if you want to preserve Japanese martial arts culture.

In general, Shotokan's deep stances should make combining it with wrestling fairly easy, and the quick, in-and-out point sparring that is often found in Shotokan translates well to most competitive striking sports (Muay Thai, kickboxing, MMA, etc.). Just know that if you start cross-training you are going to have some things that aren't going to mesh well, and you're going to have to find a middle ground or change how you do something, no matter what art you choose.

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

From a strictly to the "why study jiiu jitsu" question I'd say it's a pretty simple explanation.

If you're talking about Japanese jiu jitsu then the heavy influence of joint manipulation and limb control will be greatly enhanced by the striking from your core art. It will also give you a close, chest to chest option.

If you're referring to BJJ the answer is even easier. It gives you a ground component that you don't have with your base karate system. Shoring up this hole in your game is a good idea if you're looking to being well rounded for any contingency.

On a larger scale, any decision should start with an assessment of what you want and what you want to prep for. That will make any decisions you make more meaningful.

I bought a very helpful, informative book Karate-Do Kyohan by Gichin Funakoshi about a year ago that I have been studying and practicing on my own (forgot to note this). 3-6 months is a goal I set, but I am not going to rush anything and let things unfold naturally.

To answer your question of my martial arts goal, is I do want to compete in MMA. However, when I wake up every morning I use the Shotokan katas as a form of meditation/practice to get my day going as well as to preserve the Japanese martial arts culture.

Currently I am doing my morning individual practice and training at my dojo in the evening. Once I obtain my black belt I will continue my morning rituals of kata practice, but switch my evening training to whatever other style I select.

From a strictly to the "why study jiiu jitsu" question I'd say it's a pretty simple explanation.

If you're talking about Japanese jiu jitsu then the heavy influence of joint manipulation and limb control will be greatly enhanced by the striking from your core art. It will also give you a close, chest to chest option.

If you're referring to BJJ the answer is even easier. It gives you a ground component that you don't have with your base karate system. Shoring up this hole in your game is a good idea if you're looking to being well rounded for any contingency.

On a larger scale, any decision should start with an assessment of what you want and what you want to prep for. That will make any decisions you make more meaningful.

Thank you for this. I am very interested in competing, but more so looking for progression to being a well-rounded fighter. I do find myself lacking skill when it comes to combat on the ground, so BJJ makes a lot of sense. I'll do a little more research on BJJ.

Thanks.

Is BJJ the best option to hone my grappling/ground skills? If so, what are other styles that come in a close second or third?

Thank you for this. I am very interested in competing, but more so looking for progression to being a well-rounded fighter. I do find myself lacking skill when it comes to combat on the ground, so BJJ makes a lot of sense. I'll do a little more research on BJJ.

Thanks.

Is BJJ the best option to hone my grappling/ground skills? If so, what are other styles that come in a close second or third?

BJJ/judo/wrestling would serve you the best for that purpose.

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

Thanks.

BJJ is your best option for MMA. Wrestling is also good, but lacks the submissions that you find in BJJ, and therefore lacks the defense against those submissions. The advantage of wrestling as a discipline is it's focus on gaining dominate position, and the fast intense pace that fit well with the MMA ruleset.

The big thing that I think on this subject is that if you want to compete in MMA, get into a MMA gym.

My fists bleed death. -Akuma

Judo matches up with Shotokan very well. As a Shotokan guy, you're going to use alot of momentum to generate knock out power. Notice that when you attacks fail, you often end up body slamming into your opponent at full speed.

As rediculous as it feels, this accidental running into your opponent is most beneficial to a judoka as you're able to close the distance without getting hit + the momentum is used to unbalance your opponent and set him up for a throw.

Judo matches up with Shotokan very well. As a Shotokan guy, you're going to use alot of momentum to generate knock out power. Notice that when you attacks fail, you often end up body slamming into your opponent at full speed.

As rediculous as it feels, this accidental running into your opponent is most beneficial to a judoka as you're able to close the distance without getting hit + the momentum is used to unbalance your opponent and set him up for a throw.

This is true. However, if your purpose is to fight in mixed martial arts, why would you want to spend hours learning gi grips? Also, traditional Judo will not give you any experience with striking in a clinch.

My fists bleed death. -Akuma

Thank you for this. I am very interested in competing, but more so looking for progression to being a well-rounded fighter.

What are you aiming to compete in? That also will influence what else you study. Kickboxing, knockdown fighting, MMA, point...?