• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Exam Fail...

Does your dojo failed any student on a particular examination??

I just got promoted for green (5th kyu), until now i don't see anybody failed on the kyu test.

Sure. In august I watched my senseis not pass a shodan going for his Nidan because someone (not a Sensei) told him he didn't have to learn kata kanku dai. I said to myself, Say Huh? Why he listened to somebody other than a sensei, I'll never know, because I didn't ask him.

I myself didn't pass my first orange belt test a year ago because due to circumstances I wasn't on top of things that night. Shrug. Stuff happens. I did get it later, though, when we retested.

So yeah, people fail.

Some people regard discipline as a chore. For me it is a kind of order that sets me free to fly.

You don't have to blow out someone else's candle in order to let your own flame shine.

• 2 weeks later...
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have seen people fail at ours.

If you never show up and then just try to test, and of course do not do well, they are not going to pass you.

I don't believe someone should be given their belt just because they come to the testing. There has to be practice and dedication to it.

"The more you sweat in training, the less you will bleed in battle." - Motto of the Navy Seals

• 2 weeks later...

Any number of Shindokan students that's ever tested under me has failed. My standards are quite high and I've failed for a many number of reasons, but not for the thrill of failing. I hate to fail a student, but if it's warranted, I'll not hesitate.

The key is consistency during testing cycles; past, present, and future. Then use the failing as an opportunity to build up the student(s). To be able to show compassion in the midst of judgement isn't only important, but it's a must, imho.

I'm not the same person on the training floor as I am on the testing floor. By that, I've compassion on the training floor but on the testing floor I've no compassion, even more so, I'm very quick to judge and my judgement is without an equal and final.

I refuse to give my students any false sense of security, and in that, when my students pass any testing cycle, they know two things. One, they earned it. Two, more importantly than the first, they are secure in knowing how to effectively apply Shindokan when it counts.

Testing cycles will take care of themselves. They always have and they always will. Don't fear it, embrace it: Testing cycles and failing; they come hand in hand.

Treat a failure not as a negative thing, but more as a positive thing to learn from yourself and from others who've been there.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

I have never witnessed anyone fail, but I have witnessed where a student was told he passed but, he could not test for 12 months.

The past is no more; the future is yet to come. Nothing exist except for the here and now. Our grand business is not to see what lies dimly at a distance, but to do what's clearly is clearly at hand...Lets continue to train!

• 2 weeks later...
It happend to me a few weeks ago.

I tried to test for blue belt and the sensei told me to try again in three months.

That sucks, but it happens. Just train hard for the next three months and you can get it next time.

Martial arts training is 30% classroom training, 70% solo training.

https://www.instagram.com/nordic_karate/

• 2 weeks later...
Very rarely do any of my students fail a belt test.

Why?

Easy...I don't test them until I know they can pass.

I don't have formal testing days, and my students all know they are tested EVERY day in class. When they are where I want them for the next belt level, they are awarded that belt and we keep going. Each of my students knows what I expect of them and what they need to work on to advance.

I'm the same, I've never actually "failed" any of my students because I will not test them until they can pass!!!

I have a 1st Kyu who has been a 1st Kyu for 2 years, until he is at a standard I expect for 1st Dan. Although it is a Junior Dan Grade it is still a Dan Grade 9he will however have to grade for Adult 1st Dan when he is 16.

I have also had a 3rd Kyu who waited 9 months before I passed him for 2nd Kyu.

I have seen students failed and I know that the failed students left shortly after they failed. This was at a different School to mine!

I think Failure is not a good thing as my personal view is that if a student fails a grading then the Instructors who were responsible for their training ALSO failed. Unless of course they just completely messed up on the day!!!

"Challenge is a Dragon with a Gift in its mouth....Tame the Dragon and the Gift is Yours....." Noela Evans (author)

• 1 month later...

I go to two classes, but the same school. My Sensei in the MAIN school says i should grade. The Sensei in the SUB school says i am not good enough yet to grade.

At the risk of causing an argument with the both of them this coming Monday night-05/03/12, i will NOT be turning up to grade.

For the record, i am only a white belt and i dont think i have done enough either, though i have been to every class at the both schools since i started last year.

I have been told that a student does not have to grade if they do not want to--for the ''qualified'' amongst you on this forum, is this true?

''Board's..........don't hit back'' The late and very great Bruce Lee, in the movie Enter The Dragon.