Exam Fail...

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does your dojo failed any student on a particular examination??

I just got promoted for green (5th kyu), until now i don't see anybody failed on the kyu test.

Folks at my dojo fail at each testing. We usually have a test every 6 weeks or so and I've never been to a testing where someone didn't fail. Granted, the majority pass, but there are always folks who came unprepared and they aren't allowed to move up just because they showed up.

It's not what you do that matters, rather, it's how you do it that defines you.

A no-change does happen from time to time. My thoughts are that if there isn't a chance of a failure, then it isn't a test. Its just a formality. No one likes to fail, but it seems that our society is trying to pamper everyone so much by removing the chance to fail that no one knows how to deal with failure anymore.

I've never actually seen a failure to pass at a grading. That being said, the coach I trained with coming up never tested you unless you were already there. It was a formality.

In the BJJ academy I'm at now, there are no formal testings. You get rank when you're ready.

Very rarely do any of my students fail a belt test.

Why?

Easy...I don't test them until I know they can pass.

I don't have formal testing days, and my students all know they are tested EVERY day in class. When they are where I want them for the next belt level, they are awarded that belt and we keep going. Each of my students knows what I expect of them and what they need to work on to advance.

If you don't want to stand behind our troops, please..feel free to stand in front of them.

Student since January 1975---4th Dan, retired due to non-martial arts related injuries.

Very rarely do any of my students fail a belt test.

Why?

Easy...I don't test them until I know they can pass.

I don't have formal testing days, and my students all know they are tested EVERY day in class. When they are where I want them for the next belt level, they are awarded that belt and we keep going. Each of my students knows what I expect of them and what they need to work on to advance.

This goes the same for us. There is no reason to test a student if they are not ready. If we test a student they have already passed.

So, its like a formality after all.. The problem in some other dojo's are parents expecting their young ones to be included in the testing every two or three months.

That's the difficult part all the Sensei are facing today.

What's your take guys??

All parents think their children are the perfect little karateka, yet in my experience, the vast majority of parents rarely watch every class their child is in, or quite honestly can't look at their childs progress through an unbiased eye to really see how their kid is doing.

I've had many parents ask me why Little Johnny hasn't tested yet because he has been in longer than that other kid that did test. I have to explain to them that kids develope and learn at different rates at that their child just isn't ready yet.

Also, put some of the responsability on the parents. Ask them if Little Johnny is practicing at home, and how often. Are they watching them, or just taking their work they practiced, when in reality they were playing video games in the basement. As the parent to coem to class on a regular basis.

Basically, get the parent involved. You never know, you might just get them interested in taking classes too!

If you don't want to stand behind our troops, please..feel free to stand in front of them.

Student since January 1975---4th Dan, retired due to non-martial arts related injuries.

• 2 weeks later...

In my dojo it's not like nobody ever fails a test. But it is very rare, because my senseis wouldn't test us if they weren't sure we were prepared for it.

So most part of the test is done in advance when you get the permit to do the test.

• 3 weeks later...

Lots of people fail in our school. We have testing/evaluations 3 times a year, and everyone participates. Even if you have been practicing a lot and know all of the requirements, and even if you didn't get promoted last time either, a lot of the time sensei still wants to "see more improvement", and will give feedback on what. Then you have to wait 4 more months to try again. Although sometimes if people are close she will let them retry in a few weeks. There can be a lot of stress and anxiety around promotion time, because a lot of the time only a couple of people pass, and it is a bit of a wait until the next one, but I do think it is a true "test". Even if you can perform at the next rank level consistently in class, if nerves get to you in testing, you might fail. AARGH! Well, another few months at the same rank never killed anyone, but it can be quite disappointing at times. Just keep at it and you will be fine, is what I say!