• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

whos doing khion kata ?

Liam888

Basic Kata is what it is a BASIC KATA.

it gives the karateka the roots of all kata that follow throughout the life, the way of the style you have chosen.

My Taikyoku kata are completely different to these, I'll film them add them on Youtube then give the link here

"Challenge is a Dragon with a Gift in its mouth....Tame the Dragon and the Gift is Yours....." Noela Evans (author)

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Very much like my dojo's Taikyoku Sono Ichi, except ours does not have the upper blocks down the middle- Pinan 1 has those, however.

I do my basic katas at least three times a week. I'm in physical therapy at the moment, so I can only really safely do them in the PT pool. I have just started doing them on dry land a bit again, but my stances are HORRIBLE because it isn't safe yet to do them right.

When I practice my kata, I do every kata I know... which, I admit, is only currently 5.

http://kyokushinchick.blogspot.com/

"If you can fatally judo-chop a bull, you can sit however you want." -MasterPain, on why Mas Oyama had Kyokushin karateka sit in seiza with their clenched fists on their thighs.

• 2 weeks later...

Same "I" pattern as in Kyokushin taikyoku sono ichi through san. When I did hayashi ha shito ryu kai we had kihon kata ichi through go, and gyaku tsuki versions, too.

I have seen "kihon kata" in other styles that does not have this "I" pattern, though, just an FYI.

The one in the Video, we do as Heian Shodan in our shotokan school. We have Taikyoku Shodan As Kihon Kata. The Second - Sixth Kata taught are all Heian, and so all follow the "I" Pattern.

Goju-Ryu has a much more complicated "Basic" Kata Called Gekisai Dai Ichi (Trans. "To Destroy, Part One"), Which involves Agiuki, Geden Barai, Oi Tsuki, Mae Geri, Uraken, Empi, Heiko Tsuki, And Shuto Uki, Performed In Zenkutsu Dachi, Kiba Dachi and Heisoku Dachi.

"Really, if someone grabs you, you just punch 'em in the face and run..."

What I meant is this "I" pattern with zenkutsu dachi as the primary stance is in quite a few other styles of karate, maybe with different punches, blocks, and a front kick or two. The same "I Pattern" and primary use of zenkutsu dachi only is used, though.

In the Heian/Pinan there are a few other stances besides zenkutsu dachi and at a few different points depending on the style it can have a bit of a "K" at times. Yes, it they do stick to somewhat of an "I" but not as much as the taikyoku or kihon in some styles, do.

Anyway, this is probably one of the last times I talk about kata in a while, not a huge advocate of trying to dissect kata and figure out it's "secrets." Too many what ifs that can go on forever always end up happening. Sorry if I seem cranky LOL, just seen it happen too many times to count.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I wholeheartedly agree with you traffic142! ''Taikyoku Shodan'' or 'Kihon Kata' as some call it, IS overlooked.

I love this Kata of one block, one attack and one stance because once someone is able to perform this and the other two in the series proficently enough, then they can understand the other Kata with relative ease.

To quote Funakoshi: ''Because of its simplicity, the Kata is easily learned by beginners''

''Nevertheless, as its name implies*, this form is of the most profound character and one to which, upon mastery of the art of Karate, an expert will return to select it as the ultimate training Kata''.

*Taikyoku is a philosophical term denoting the macrocosm before its differentiation into heaven and earth: Hence, chaos, or the void.

The Kata is in the shape of the letter 'H' turned on its side.

''Board's..........don't hit back'' The late and very great Bruce Lee, in the movie Enter The Dragon.