• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Best places for new karate club

I've been thinking about starting a karate club without focusing on making a profit. With that said, the prices for some of the places out here are insane. $150 an hour!?

Where would be alternatives to community centers and the YMCA. I've been looking at the Boys and Girls Clubs.

You're in Washinton DC. Of course it's expensive. If you're not looking to make a profit, then the best bet is to start in someone's garage or basement. Once you have a few people, then you can go look for a more commercial location.

But your best bet for a nice, open location is probably a local church. They tend to have halls they rent out and it will be far less expensive than a YMCA.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I teach a class through our local Adult Education program. We split the registration fees 80/20 (in my favor) and they give me the room for free. I have no pressure to increase my enrollment to cover rent, etc. If I'm happy with five to ten students, so be it. They would love for me to start a youth karate program with more students, but so far I haven't taken the plunge.

Because I have a day job this works well for me. It wouldn't be the way to go if I were trying to make a career of it, though.

"Honour, not honours." ~ Sir Richard Francis Burton

http://oronokarate.weebly.com

• 2 weeks later...
What is everyone's thoughts about a yoga studio or health club? I have such an itch to open a club, but I am only an Ik Kyu and you aren't really a teacher until you are 3rd Dan.

You are a teacher as soon as you help instruct someone that isn't as experienced as you are. If you intend on instructing, then you should be assisting in class (if your school allows it) as much as possible, and watching how your instructor deals with new instruction, correction to techniques, student approach, etc. Then use that to develop your own style. Using rank to determine readiness to teach is arbitrary, anyway.

As far as a yoga/health club, it depends on the club. It's harder than you think, because if you contract the space and bring in your own students, then you have to worry about the insurance issues between you and the club. And, the club may expect you to take paying members of the club for free in your classes. Just be very clear about the setup if you do something like that.

Most dance studios will rent space. The going rate in our area is $25 an hour, but then you are dealing with off peak hours, because the best hours will be filled with dance classes, unless they have extra rooms.

Good luck with it, being an instructor is incredibly fulfilling and rewarding.

John

There are some people who live in a dream world, and there are some who face reality; and then there are those who turn one into the other.

-Douglas Everett, American hockey player

What is everyone's thoughts about a yoga studio or health club? I have such an itch to open a club, but I am only an Ik Kyu and you aren't really a teacher until you are 3rd Dan.

You are a teacher as soon as you help instruct someone that isn't as experienced as you are. If you intend on instructing, then you should be assisting in class (if your school allows it) as much as possible, and watching how your instructor deals with new instruction, correction to techniques, student approach, etc. Then use that to develop your own style. Using rank to determine readiness to teach is arbitrary, anyway.

As far as a yoga/health club, it depends on the club. It's harder than you think, because if you contract the space and bring in your own students, then you have to worry about the insurance issues between you and the club. And, the club may expect you to take paying members of the club for free in your classes. Just be very clear about the setup if you do something like that.

Most dance studios will rent space. The going rate in our area is $25 an hour, but then you are dealing with off peak hours, because the best hours will be filled with dance classes, unless they have extra rooms.

Good luck with it, being an instructor is incredibly fulfilling and rewarding.

John

Solid post!!

:D

**Proof is on the floor!!!