• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

How to practise breaking balance?

Attended a BJJ camp today. Sensei was 6 th dan Judoka Jaakko Saari. He showed a nice kuzushi exercise - "Mongolian wrestling". It's sparring (randori standing). Both grap on each others belts and it's played with Sumo rules. If you touch the tatami with other part than foot, you loose.

• 3 months later...
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Sounds like you're mostly looking for partner drills. But, solo drills that help develop and get in touch with your own balance will also make a huge difference in your ability to maintain your own balance and feel your partners energy in live application. Standing yoga poses are great, as is tai chi. My favorite exercises involve balls though. Standing on a rubber school yard style ball is fantastic for the balance muscles in your legs and core. Use a wall to help you mount. And those big yoga balls allow you to balance in all sorts of positions on both your hands and legs which is fantastic for jiu jitsu movement. You can also sit on them with your feet barely or not touching the ground, and also mount them. Be careful though if you try these! The balls can fly out from under you if you lose focus. Work your way up, be aware of dangerous obstacles, and always be ready to catch yourself/recover in a safe fashion.

Don't fight fire with fire. Fight fire with water.

Thanks bLikeWater,

I've tryed those big balls - gym balls as a part of strength training. (Ofcourse holding my balance with an hand on a wall) We did squats and it work the whole body.

I've got a balance board and unicycle and a slack-line. I have, but don't use:-) them...

I've done work on my own balance, but I want to be more aware of opponents movements.