• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Can you learn Martial Arts from internet?

I have learned the sequence of a kata over the internet. I then applied what I had then learnt previously to the kata to build it up to full speed and power. My instructer was fairly impressed. However there were small minute mistakes that would cause me damage or cause the technique to be powerless.

An example - I have seen people taught a stepping punch and they copy prety well what they see. They often miss out on there back foot facing forward and rotating there hips till there square. These small mistakes take roughly half the power out move ( sad enough to test it on a machine).

Training over the internet is going to make you very sloppy and depending how long you do it for could end up with some very bad unbreakable habits. Sure you could get feed back from some one watching movements via a hd video but even then if its not a close up and they can not walk round you they not spot small mistakes. This is my opinion on personal experience so far. If there was a fail safe way round this I would happily change my mind.

Is there a reason you feel you must learn over the internet ? If your remote and there are no clubs for many miles I would learn from the net what I cam but make sure you can attend a club at least once a month. As the other thing you are missing is the bonding and " spiritual side" . I don't mean it in a holier than though way but even just being a better person that martial arts can make you, that you need to experience it in a Dojo.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Kevin for a good example - you learnt something on internet and your instructor tweaked it to make it more like he prefers it. Some tweaks are minor and some might be essential - don't know your kata and punkai you used for it.

I was just asking an academic question about what, when and who can learn from internet. You asked "why".

One answer could be to get a broader picture of dicipline you are training. By comparing different teacher or experts or wannabee experts on internet, you can learn to see differences in techniques - and maybe focus on something - and deepen your understanding.

Other point of view might be that you want to learn totally different styles or diciplines - karateka learning Judo? BJJ practiser learning Tai Chi:-) - but you don't want to enroll in all the classes - just have a glimpse of what it might be?

At he moment I have enrolled on BJJ basic class, but study Judo from internet - well, mostly ukemis at he moment. I think that after a month or so I can start testing my "Judo" on BJJ randori. Might just be a little extra things. (In history BJJ and Judo are from same root.)

One point - it's not that if you learn from internet, you cannot go to a regular class? Or is it? Our BJJ instructor did ask us to only take advice from him. Not from others. (I do understand his point, but still a little ambitious from a blue belt:-)

IMO you can research martial arts on the internet, but you can't really learn it to any great degree.

You need an instructor for that.

Also; factor in the things that books and the internet can tell you about, but you can't "realise" without an opponent!!

Things like adopting correct distance and timing, awareness and how to size up your attacker etc.

You can read about these things on the web, but you can't experience them (and therefore truly learn from them) unless you train in a dojo, with opponents and under the watchful eye of a good instructor.

Arguably you could use the web to study the “omote” (outline structure) of say a kata – It won’t do you any real harm - as long as you have an instructor to fill in the gaps - and they will be sizeable, however on the subject of Ukemi (breakfalling) – and learning that from the web – be careful!!

Ukemi is your last resort – it’s your safety net, you need to make sure you can do it well, because doing it badly can end in broken bones. Thinking you can do it and actually doing it isn’t always the same thing.

Sojobo

I know violence isn't the answer... I got it wrong on purpose!!!

http://www.karatedo.co.jp/wado/w_eng/e_index.htm

BTW, My Koryu instructor encourages us to research our martial art and others for that matter.

So I think it certainly has its plus points.

On the internet however it comes down to the old chestnut of how discerning someone can be, when they don't really know what they are looking at?

Sojobo

I know violence isn't the answer... I got it wrong on purpose!!!

http://www.karatedo.co.jp/wado/w_eng/e_index.htm

Ukemi is your last resort – it’s your safety net, you need to make sure you can do it well, because doing it badly can end in broken bones. Thinking you can do it and actually doing it isn’t always the same thing.

Sojobo

Ofcourse ukemi is practised on a tatami. On my research on ukemis I have found a lot of different ukemis. I was thought a roll over front ukemi very many years ago ( ma ukemi), but I also found a ukemi where you fall on your face, but take the fall with your arms in a triangle in front of your chest. And also an ukemi where you come down like a wave - I think it's called "tiger".

There as also a lot of discussion about "breaking the fall" with your arm. I think Korea styles do not like the idea. Argument is that on hard ground you might break your arm - so it's better to just roll like a cat. (Different ukemi than a tiger.)

I think that ukemis is actually learnt when your opponent throws you many, many times:-) I think the term is "ukemi sannen" - three years of practise.

But you can get ideas from internet - and it can be helpful or it can be harmful. It might not even be good to learn new things (and not master the technique) as it might mess up your previously learnt skills?

Maybe learning from internet is for black belts?

Maybe it's just for common knowledge - history and stuff?

Maybe it's just for different strength training methods?

(Like learning about hojo undo?)

One thought more - maybe we think differently about learning?

For me learning as many steps like:

1) knowledge - theory - knowing what should be done and way

2) technique - skill to do a technique

3) skill to vary and imply the technique in different situations

(This means that technique comes with out thinking about it.)

One thought more - maybe we think differently about learning?

For me learning as many steps like:

1) knowledge - theory - knowing what should be done and way

2) technique - skill to do a technique

Is the theoretical technique being pressured against a resisting, non-compliant opponent? Or is that what you mean by number 3?

You must become more than just a man in the mind of your opponent. -Henri Ducard

Throwdown0850 asked:

Is the theoretical technique being pressured against a resisting, non-compliant opponent? Or is that what you mean by number 3?

My asnwer:

yes - applying and modifying your technique for a situation would be "higher" level learning - and ultimate goal might be to do it almost as a reflex - with out thinking.

Just on more add to discussion about learning from internet.

I stumbled on a site https://www.gracieuniversity.com/default.aspx

It has a very good instructional approach.

• 4 weeks later...
First comment is often that to learn martial arts, get a good coach - sensei, soke or what ever your teacher is called. I believe that most important asset in learning a martial art is a) teacher and b) your fellow students and ofcourse your will and stamina to learn. BUT....

Can you learn from internet:

a) what can you learn?

b) who can learn?

Today I learned how to tie a judo belt - I've been tieing a karate belt for 40 years, but judo is different.

What would it take to learn a technique - I think that for ukemis there are a lot of good instructions...

Why could you NOT learn? What do you NOT learn?

Vids are great when you use them while training with a teacher. I used videos to help me learn my kata moves. :)

Some people regard discipline as a chore. For me it is a kind of order that sets me free to fly.

You don't have to blow out someone else's candle in order to let your own flame shine.

Hi Blade96,

are you filming your self and watching what your kata looks like?

Or watching a instructional tape from a kata spesialist?

What about the bunkai of kata? Is it on video?

(I've never taped my kata. I've seen my competition matches on super8 film in early 80's and it was terrible :-)