• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Passed first Belt Test

Hello all, this is my first post. I've been coming to this forum for a few months for motivation and by using the search function I've found answers to most all of my questions. I used to box at a golden gloves gym years ago when i was a teenager and after sitting in a cubicle for the last few years and watching my gut get bigger i decided to learn a new martial art. I used the forum to research what i wanted to learn and decided to look around at various schools close to my home and eventually settled on a dojo that really met my needs.

Sooooo I started kempo/kashinryu a few months ago and have loved every minute of it. I've been going about 4-5 times/week and practicing at home whenever I have free time. I never really thought I would test for belts as my motivation was to improve physically and i never saw the color of the belt as having anything to do with improvement. I always felt like you know inherently when your skill is improving. For example, at my old boxing gym, you just KNEW who was skilled by their technique and work ethic. Whereas now, the color of the belt does determine rank. However, when we spar, I can actually compete pretty well with some of the higher ranks due to the stiking and hands that my former boxing experience had trained, but I still get kicked in the face, hahaha, because i'm not really used to watching for feet/knees.

I love the soft-fist aspects of kempo and the controlling joint locks and throws. I like the way you can control the person without really hurting them, or yourself, in the process.

Anyway, I had my first belt test this weekend as my sensei pulled me aside about a month ago and told me that I needed to test. I didn't really want to as my goal isn't a belt, my goal is expertise, however, I respect my sensei's wishes and obliged. It all went by really fast, I performeed the katas, formal/informal techniques, broke a couple boards, and sparred with my partner. Everything went great, so now, I'm rocking a yellow belt, haha. I'm not gonna lie, it was a pretty cool feeling to have my sensei tie the new belt on.

I just wanted to thank all of you for your articles and thoughts as they provide a nice background and forum for people who want to learn about martial arts.

Oh, and I've lost 10 pounds since starting, which is a nice side-effect of training!!!! I'll keep you guys posted on progress.

It's not what you do that matters, rather, it's how you do it that defines you.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

First off, welcome to KF! Glad to hear that you found it useful in your search. Next, congrats on your promotion.

My base art was a kempo based art and you'll find it very effective and a great well-rounded experience. Keep us posted on how things are going.

Welcome to the Forums and congrats on your promotion! :karate: I look forward to hearing from you as you continue your training as well.

Its cool you were able to use this site to help you figure out where to train. Very cool.

Thanks so much for the kind words and for sharing, Terrierpike. That is awesome to hear. :) Welcome aboard and congrats.

Patrick

4-5 times a week, it looks like you got hooked right off the bat. That is awesome! :)

Haha, I have two reasons for going so much each week.

1) I'm a CPA, which means I'm inherently cheap. At the dojo, we pay a monthly fee, so by going more, I get more for my dollar. If I only went twice a week, it would be twice as expensive per class.

AND

2) I'm absolutely hooked, it's a blast, and a great workout.

It's not what you do that matters, rather, it's how you do it that defines you.