• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Learn your self judo?

If you hit the ground wrong you got a problem so first you need to learn and practice your break falls.

To play along with the question I think videos are going to get you the furthest. It's just like anything else, there are going to be huge gaps in your skill and knowledge with out good instruction. There are many subtleties in throwing that are hard enough to teach and, therefore, almost impossible to get from a book or video. Moreover, what really helped my throwing was being thrown by someone who knew how to throw not to mention having partners that could take the fall and objective eyes that could correct.

The mission of my blog is to explore the connection between the skills learned in the dojo as a student of the martial arts and the skills that lead to a successful life. https://www.lifeskillsfromthedojo.com

https://www.facebook.com/lifeskillsfromthedojo

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some one writes allways that "prove is on the floor". Wouldn't this apply to Judo also?

We have one 6th dan Judoka here and it's very nice to see him teach. I am very sure that I would learn more from him in one class than from videos in one month. ...BUT...

I have a political issue with Finnish Judo Federation and they don't let me practice in an official club. I complained about insurence. I have one allready that covers all martial arts including Judo, but they wanted me to take the one they are selling. I refuced first and they said that I cannot practise. After thinking a while I aggreed to pay it, but after the fuss they said that they don't let me practise. I should have not questioned their extra means of funding.

Hence I am doing BJJ, but Judo is interesting. I think it's a plessing that Judo did not let me practice Judo. BJJ is far more suitable for over 50 y as a starting grappling art. You get to meaningful sparring much faster than in Judo.

• 4 months later...

I found a small club just 25 km from my home. I am going tomorrow to meet with the instructor, but I think they will let me train with them. I have not been able to learn throws - well, I've had my hands full with BJJ.

I think that once a week judo is good add on to BJJ. (Maybe two times a week, but can not manage more than that.)