• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Learn your self judo?

One thing I like about Judo (or think I like about it - as I don't really know it ) is that the art it self teaches you what technique works.

When you fall down and it hurts - you have a problem with your ukemi:-)

When you cannot throw your opponent - you have a problem with - maybe breaking balance or direction of throw or the actual technique.

If it does not work - your doing something wrong.

Ofcourse it needs a lot of work to figure out the right way, but it's the journey that counts not the end:-)

This might be a very interesting experiment - I think I will go for it.

Try to teach Judo to my self - maybe I'll need to call it Budo, just not to make judokas angry. Basically it's ukemis, grappling and throws anyway.

I think that getting a self learning study group rounded up will be a big challenge. Learning judo alone would be hard.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't change the name. That would make them angrier. Call it judo. Just be open and honest about your training level and experience in the art. If someone wants to train with you, don't pretend to be something you're not. That's what's important.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

Thanks ps1 for your comments,

Finnish Judo Association is very strong and it wants every one that does judo to be a member (and pay a fee to them). So practising "Budo" or "Ju-Jutsu grappling" might not be a straight confrontation.

BUT I do like the idea of being honest - and there isn't anything that anyone can do about it - if I practise Judo - and do not graduate any ranks or claim to be anything else than what I am.

Thanks ps1 for your comments,

Finnish Judo Association is very strong and it wants every one that does judo to be a member (and pay a fee to them). So practising "Budo" or "Ju-Jutsu grappling" might not be a straight confrontation.

BUT I do like the idea of being honest - and there isn't anything that anyone can do about it - if I practise Judo - and do not graduate any ranks or claim to be anything else than what I am.

I see what you mean in regards to the political situation of using the name Judo. Just call it grappling as Budo wouldn't really be an appropriate term. Good luck, by the way!

This is interesting. The connotation of the word "budo" in finnish means martial arts (Japanies). In english it looks like meaning the life style of a martial artist - way of living?

Also BJJ is "Judo"? Just development of the "style" has developed in a different direction. (Or is there a political issue?)

So throwing, pinning, grappling, etc - could also be called:

a) Ju-Jutsu

b) BJJ

c) Grappling

d) Judo (I have a "political issue" on this:-))

Or I could call it XO - it's what I call everything...

(But for the actual "teach Judo to your self" -project. I went to a dojo yesterday and did different ukemis: mae, yoko, usiro - ending at the tatami and also standing up. And waiting for my first book, which is "Judo - teach yourself")

This is interesting. The connotation of the word "budo" in finnish means martial arts (Japanies). In english it looks like meaning the life style of a martial artist - way of living?

Also BJJ is "Judo"? Just development of the "style" has developed in a different direction. (Or is there a political issue?)

So throwing, pinning, grappling, etc - could also be called:

a) Ju-Jutsu

b) BJJ

c) Grappling

d) Judo (I have a "political issue" on this:-))

Or I could call it XO - it's what I call everything...

(But for the actual "teach Judo to your self" -project. I went to a dojo yesterday and did different ukemis: mae, yoko, usiro - ending at the tatami and also standing up. And waiting for my first book, which is "Judo - teach yourself")

Learned something new again. You're correct. I've always been taught that Budo refers to the way of life led by the Bushi or warriors of ancient Japan. It includes their philosophies, and arts such as calligraphy and of course combat. So it's more all encompassing.

• 1 month later...
Just a thought - and I know this is difficult.

If you were to learn judo by your self - or in a small study group wtih hardly any knowledge of judo - how would you do it. What would be the curriculum?

Would you start with a book - and compine youtube videos with it?

Learn ukemis and kuzushi first?

Maybe start with grappling (katame-waza / ne-waza)?

Follow belt ranks and use it as a curriculum?

(Yes - I know that lot of you will say that you just would join a local club or find a good sensei... but what if...)

I find Judo techniques very difficult to learn without intense reps and a large amount of oversight with instruction. May be difficult to do by yourself or even with a small group.

My learning judo by my self has been "slow" - just doing ukemis few times per week. I've been learning bjj, doing weight training and some running. Can't do more. My physical condition is not good enough for more exercises per week - old man needs more time to recover:-)

BUT I'll go back to judo when I will have more time - maybe after New Year. I don't compete so bad habits don't matter as long as ukemis are good.

(Maybe I should write that I'll learn myself some moves for BJJ standing game:-) ... I'll copy them from Judo.)