• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

After a 20 year lay off back once again

lauryn2000

Hi,newbie here but not to martial arts.

I had trained in Tae Kwon Do from 1990-1992 reaching blue belt.

I'm 46 now and six months ago starting longboarding (form of skateboarding) to compete in the Adrenalina Skateboard Marathon 2011.

I dd the 2.2 miles since the marathon was in July and I started skating in April.Next year I'm hoping to compete in the 26.2 miles and I since I can't skate in the winter.

I choose to get back into the martial arts :karate: twenty years later.

It helps me stay in shape for the winter months,will build up my leg muscles,help with edurance and stamina.Win..Win!!

Except I'm going to study Shotokan,since my new school is a BJJ/Shotokan I was thinking about doing BJJ.

But after my intro I decided to stick with karate,BJJ was fun and the grappling aspect interesting.But I guess my heart still belongs to punches and kicking................. :)

Anyway,hope to learn alot in school and this forum.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Welcome lauryn2000 :)

At the risk of sounding like a complete noob, what's a Skateboard Marathon?

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

Thanks for the welcome....Adrenalina Skateboard Marathon you skate 26.6 miles or 2.2 miles (mini marathon) on a longboard.

They pick four cities to do the tours.

There's prize money for each event and the final stop picks the overall winner.

The first stop was NYC's Governor's Island where it was either 10 laps or 1 lap around the island.

A longboard is used for downhill skating competitions where the rider can go uo t0 60 mph down a hill.Or long distance skating which is like cross country running.A longboard is longer than a skateboard and has larger wheels specifically for traveling instead of *tricks*.

• 2 weeks later...