• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Stupid General Conception Question

Isshin-Vegg

no prob, its my observation of studying/teaching all this time. when you mix in the different associations under one roof you get alot of mixed feelings and well resentment cause they think they where taught right. But I have had the opportunity to talk to master kichiro the last time i went to a world tournament for iwka and found there is still some resentment within the family when his father died on who shouldve had the style granted to them.

and PS1 you are correct. our kumite is straight forward and direct.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I never knew Isshin Ryu was uncommon. Interesting.

well being a practioner of isshinryu for almost 30 yrs i attest to what I know. Hanshi Duessell was the last person to study under Master Tatsou Shimabuku. Others may say different but Kichiro has confirmed it. The style was not designed with americans in mind. Tatsou was developing the style during WWII. He felt the vertical punch to be stronger along with blocking with the muscle part of ones arm.

The major problem we have with isshinryu is all the associations with it. Im with the IWKA so I follow Hanshi Duessell and Master Kichiro Shimabuku. I could go into the belt thing but it'll just stir up mixed feelings and people will think i'm bias'd.

As for strength. its what I call medium. You have both hard and soft in it. but its how you do the applications to fully understand that its both but its also neither.

Hanshi Duessell's school is actually about 10 minutes from me. I've always been interested but never had the time.

thats cool kuma. he's a very intelligent man and strong for someone of his age. his passion for isshinryu is so strong im glad to be part of his history.

my kyoshi lives in NJ and if it wasnt for him I would never have really known hanshi duessell. The both of them are very admirable men for the art.

I never knew Isshin Ryu was uncommon. Interesting.

...Snip....

Hanshi Duessell's school is actually about 10 minutes from me. I've always been interested but never had the time.

Isshin Ryu is uncommon? Regionally perhaps? I'm a couple of hours north of Knoxville and Isshin Ryu is thick out this way. Tournaments are hosted and/or dominated by them in many cases. I believe there are serveral highly ranked individuals in the state. Where I training in the style, it wouldn't be a bad place to be living.

A few Isshin Ryu practitioners I've gotten to talk to for long would talk about how the style was a combination of Goju and Shorin Ryu, only without all the fancy/flashy stuff. Which always made me wonder about the "fancy/flashy" stuff. Young guys though. I always chalked it up to trying to impress and have that street tough image of a practical fighting art.

Kisshu fushin, Oni te hotoke kokoro. A demon's hand, a saint's heart. -- Osensei Shoshin Nagamine

Thanks for all of the posts guys it's been a while since I've checked in, but I got the answers I thought I would. I was wondering though if I thought Isshinryu was this way because my sensei used to be a wrestler and is a naturally strong guy, but now I see it's mostly true in other's eyes too. He does always preach be hard where you need it and soft where you need it too. He often uses the analogy of the big football linebacker holding a baby (hits hard on the field, but soft with the baby).

Mike,

I will surely take time to answer your question. First of all know I started training when I was 6 so I could learn self-defense, and now I am 16 with a 1st degree black belt (out of 10). That being said I have grown to appreciate Isshinryu in its entirety. I like Isshinryu because it teaches defense over attack, and I find it to be a well-rounded counter-striking system (look at UFC fighters like GSP and Lyoto Machida). Most of what you learn is how to counter certain moves or strikes. Karate has also allowed me to think and learn in ways most nonmartialist can't, so when you begin to train you'll find you'll probably to think in a different way and see things in a different light. I think you'll find every penny you spend on Isshinryu with be welllllllll worth it. Finally, it's also cool to be able to tell other people my body is seen as a deadly weapon in a court of law. :wink:

Hope you begin to learn Isshinryu soon and if you begin to take lessons please post a topic of your progress I'd like to follow you on your journey. :karate:

thats cool kuma. he's a very intelligent man and strong for someone of his age. his passion for isshinryu is so strong im glad to be part of his history.

my kyoshi lives in NJ and if it wasnt for him I would never have really known hanshi duessell. The both of them are very admirable men for the art.

Maybe someday I'll have the time. What makes Isshin Ryu unique from other karate styles in your opinion? I consider myself first and foremost a student of karate more than a Kyokushin student, so I'm interested in finding out more about other karate styles.

Well Puma in my opinion it's uniqueness comes from the fact that we use the vertical punches and block in almost the same manner too. Even though this isn't really uniqueness it's made from a combonation of two traditional okinawan styles, Goju-Ryu and Shorin-Ryu. You get a combonation of the two that Master Shimabuku made to cover their weaknesses that he saw, and it has kobudo too so it has the weapons to make a full and complete form of fighting (other than the fact of ground game, but we have used the clinch too). That's the basic run down other than the fact the at the beginning of our katas we step out to the right versus others which I believe step to the left (this was to show the difference from other styles). And most practioners spell it Isshinryu with the ryu attached.

And BDPulver as a non-member of the OIKKA do you not follow Master Angi Uezu as the top-sensei?

And BDPulver as a non-member of the OIKKA do you not follow Master Angi Uezu as the top-sensei?

No, we do not recognize Master Ueza. being with the IWKA we follow Master Kichiro Shimabuku and Hanshi Duessell along with my kioshi. Like I said cause of the different associations theres alot of different stories on who got what and so on.

I go by what master kichiro says since he is the son of Tatsou and would know who was the last to train under his father.

I'll have to get back to you on that kuma. my feelings towards isshinryu is great and to put down in words is tough.