• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Stupid General Conception Question

Isshin-Vegg

Okay, so when I think of other styles I have a general conception of the way one would fight. For example, I imagine a Kyoshukin person using strong kicks and hits in general, and I imagine a Shotokan person using low stances and using strong moves too, and a person from something like Wado-Ryu using faster paced attacks with a stance to favor that style and such. Also, though it's not karate, you expect a BJJ person or one of grappling influence to take it to the ground.

My real question is, is there a general conception of Isshinryu, or is it a mixed style, or is it not known enough, or is it just another karate style to you guys? (I'm mainly asking about power and stances and fighting expectencies not really the fact that we punch with a vertical fist and such.)

As a 1st Dan I have my own ideals, but I want to know one from the outside looking in. Also, if a person from a style not metioned wants to know the same things about their style post the question and we'll get a lot of general conceptions out.

Thanks for reading this long post and replying. :karate: -Andy

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I would say it is like Goju Ryu - hard but soft and circular like most Okinawan Styles

"Challenge is a Dragon with a Gift in its mouth....Tame the Dragon and the Gift is Yours....." Noela Evans (author)

I don't believe it's as "hard" of a system as Gojo, but is more like Shorin Ryu in the sense that the system gets "softer" the more you learn and understand it.

In all honesty though, I really don't know for sure. What I do know about it though, I like!

If you don't want to stand behind our troops, please..feel free to stand in front of them.

Student since January 1975---4th Dan, retired due to non-martial arts related injuries.

Well, yeah Goju Ryu and Shorin Ryu are the style Isshinryu were made from as the founder (Tatsuo Shimabuku) was a high ranking black belt in both forms. I find it funny that you say it's not popular in America, which I agree it isn't, but among most places it's most popular in the US.

Hey Andy,

I have no experience with karate and very limited with kung-fu. However, I'm looking to maybe start karate and in researching it I've read that Isshin-ryu is a combo of hard and soft, it's mostly close range in-fighting and it uses economical, non-flashy movements. It sounds very no-nonsense.

If you don't mind answering a question in your own post, why do you like Isshin-ryu? I ask because your answer might help me make my decision. Thanks.

I've studied Isshinryu and earned the rank of Sandan. Personally, I am not convinced that, in all applications, the vertical punch is better nor the blocking method is better. I have no proof but I believe that the style was designed as a martial art specifically for the U.S. Servicemen working with Shimibuku. Shimabuku developed techniques that Americans would better adapt to because that is the way that they punched, blocked and kicked. It seems to me almost as if the Servicemen told Shimabuku, teach us karate but we want to do it this way. In addition, some of these servicemen came back as 7th dan after less than two years of study and yet, their students spent years earning a black belt (this is documented by the way so I am not making this up). I enjoy some of the redesigned Kata of Isshinryu and I also enjoyed the weaponry part of the style (although I think that they could have developed more Tonfa kata to go with it. If you like it, stay with it, enjoy it. Don't worry about popularity of the style.

"Don't tell me the sky's the limit because I have seen footprints on the moon!" -- Paul Brandt

well being a practioner of isshinryu for almost 30 yrs i attest to what I know. Hanshi Duessell was the last person to study under Master Tatsou Shimabuku. Others may say different but Kichiro has confirmed it. The style was not designed with americans in mind. Tatsou was developing the style during WWII. He felt the vertical punch to be stronger along with blocking with the muscle part of ones arm.

The major problem we have with isshinryu is all the associations with it. Im with the IWKA so I follow Hanshi Duessell and Master Kichiro Shimabuku. I could go into the belt thing but it'll just stir up mixed feelings and people will think i'm bias'd.

As for strength. its what I call medium. You have both hard and soft in it. but its how you do the applications to fully understand that its both but its also neither.

Then I stand corrected. I suppose I had too much time on my hands and was thinking too much about the whys of the changes. I was taught the whys but I suppose as one gets older one challenges ideas and teachings. It is probably not a good idea for me to do that. I was just a Sandan and, as such, still had a lot to learn. I understand the many association thing within the style and I can appreciate that. Either way, if one likes the concept of the style and it works for them stick with it.

"Don't tell me the sky's the limit because I have seen footprints on the moon!" -- Paul Brandt

When watching kata, kumite and kihon, isshin ryu has shallower stances, vertical fists, and slightly different blocking than most systems. They still strike strongly with punches. Most of their kicks seem to be low and use little or no hip extension (more snap and less thrust). In kumite they tend to stay to the inside of the opponent, rather than working to the outside.

I often teach BJJ in an isshin ryu school and those have been my observations. My expertise is in Shotokan however (and BJJ, obviously).

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."