• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Juka 100% Cotton Gi Melted

Willard814

I pulled my Juka Emerald gi out of the washing machine to discover that a corner of the jacket had literally melted. I didn't know 100% cotton could melt at cold water temperatures and I'm guessing this material is a cotton/poly blend which would explain why it melted. has anyone ever had this happen to their gi?

http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i122/willard1/321069_10150323910738481_515163480_7999602_900696213_n.jpg

Edited by Willard814

There is no superior style only different levels...

Huo Yianjia

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

No never on a gi and espicially not on cold washes like you should be washing them no matter how stained they are ! I dont mean to be rude or insult your intelligence but could it be a washing machine defect ? The weight and bulk of a good gi could cause it to catch on summit? This part could be hot or worse a hole in washing machine.

It sounds daft but the only time I seen this was when my washing machine started very rarely looking like it had melted the odd thing once every two months. I phoned eng out showed him the damage its done. He knew straight away and showed me it was actually the way things can get ripped and stretched in the washing machine. A 50p had got stuck between innards and drum without any one noticing. It almost opened the inner drum up like a tin opener weird and especially the way it looked melted as you say.

No never on a gi and espicially not on cold washes like you should be washing them no matter how stained they are ! I dont mean to be rude or insult your intelligence but could it be a washing machine defect ? The weight and bulk of a good gi could cause it to catch on summit? This part could be hot or worse a hole in washing machine.

It sounds daft but the only time I seen this was when my washing machine started very rarely looking like it had melted the odd thing once every two months. I phoned eng out showed him the damage its done. He knew straight away and showed me it was actually the way things can get ripped and stretched in the washing machine. A 50p had got stuck between innards and drum without any one noticing. It almost opened the inner drum up like a tin opener weird and especially the way it looked melted as you say.

Check out the picture I just added to my post. No such thing happened here, the washer is fairly new and there is no damage to the washer. I suspect this fabric is a cotton/poly blend and not 100% cotton as advertised!

Huo Yianjia

Natural fabrics (cotton, hemp, wool, etc.) do not melt, artificial fabrics do. Contact the manufacturer.

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

Yup that's kinda how mine looked to. I could of swore they had melted to! Wastelander is correct contact juka.

Did you buy it from them directly?

Yup that's kinda how mine looked to. I could of swore they had melted to! Wastelander is correct contact juka.

Did you buy it from them directly?

Thanks for your comment Kevin did this happen to a Juka gi that you owned? If so they claimed that something like this has never happened and they seemed quite upset. Maybe they don't want their gi in the dryer because they know they aren't 100% cotton. I like their gi especially the fit I would have still bought the gi if the advertised a cotton/poly blend. That way I could have taken the proper precautions during washing ans care. I buys my gi a little bit bigger so I can shrink it to fit perfectly, which in this case seem to work for the first month or so of use.

I contacted Juka and sent pictures I am waiting for them to complete their investigation.

I did buy it directly from Juka International.

Huo Yianjia

Yeah, I don't think a cotton fabric would look like that after a cold wash. Hopefully they give you a replacement item.

Take the replacement if you can get it lol. I know its weird but its defiantly looks like the marks on mine . It was a number of things it done it to but not a gi(thankgoodness). One thing was my gf 100% cotton jumper. I never thought at time about cotton not melting I was young.

It looked exactly like that and it became more and more frequent till it happened to something expensive so phoned end showed him and he new exactly what caused it .

I only wash in cold regardless . Save the polar bears ! Lol

• 3 weeks later...

Maybe it's my computer, but I can't see melting. I agree with Kevin that it looks like it got caught in something. Maybe it's easier to see what you see in person.

I doubt Juka would intentionally label something as cotton if it weren't. Not enough gain for the risk, and Juka's been around for a long time. They have a reputation to protect. A gi could get mislabeled, but poly/cotton is typically used in lighter gis, much lighter than Juka's 12 oz Emerald. In the Juka/Dragon line, you have to go down to 7 oz to find a poly/cotton gi.

I'm not saying there's no way that you have a poly/cotton gi, but it doesn't seem likely in your situation.

John - ASE Martial Arts Supply

https://www.asemartialarts.com

• 8 months later...