• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Taekwondo question

That's a rather broad statement.. I'm not a Tkd stylist, I practice a kicking art, and my usual foot covering in class is a pair of hiking boots, less commonly walking shoes. I used to make a point of training kicks on an ice-covered parking lot a few times a year. I didnt last year because my latitude changed dramatically for school but we still consider cobblestone or asphalt to be an optimal trai ing surface. Different priorities for different folks really.

I believe the question was directed at TKD practitioners, however you are right... Different priorities for different folks. In most cases, TKD is practiced as a sport, and I was simply pointing out that it's traditionally practiced barefoot.

Nick Zorn

4th Degree Black Belt

Owner, West of the Moon ATA

https://www.myataschool.com

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Yeah, I know, though it gets back to the question of what defines "tradition", which I think needs a lot more unpacking.

It was stated as 'martial arts (as a whole) should be practiced barefoot', though. :) I'm not convinced, particularly as most of the toughening that your feet need to build up from spinning and such on a floor is really only useful for resisting the effects of spinning and such on a floor.

I suppose that the lack of shoes can be seen as a protective measure to reduce the damage or injury to the person being kicked? In which case, it's not so much 'tradition' as 'common sense for the people setting the rules'.

"Anything worth doing is worth doing badly." - Baleia

Yeah, I know, though it gets back to the question of what defines "tradition", which I think needs a lot more unpacking.

It was stated as 'martial arts (as a whole) should be practiced barefoot', though. :) I'm not convinced, particularly as most of the toughening that your feet need to build up from spinning and such on a floor is really only useful for resisting the effects of spinning and such on a floor.

I suppose that the lack of shoes can be seen as a protective measure to reduce the damage or injury to the person being kicked? In which case, it's not so much 'tradition' as 'common sense for the people setting the rules'.

I see what you're getting at, and you make a good point. I agree foot protection is specific to the art. I should have been more specific earlier in stating I believe sport Taekwondo should be practiced barefoot for the reasons I listed earlier.

I also don't feel as connected to the surface I practice on unless I'm barefoot. I can grip the surface so much better barefoot than with shoes.

That being said, I wear shoes 99.9% of the time when I'm out in public when I'm most-likely to use martial arts in a self-defense situation. There is certainly an advantage to training with shoes on as it helps prepare you better for a real situation.

However, sport Taekwondo is just that... a sport. For the protection of competitors, shoes are generally discouraged. It also makes wearing most foot protection difficult and cumbersome.

Nick Zorn

4th Degree Black Belt

Owner, West of the Moon ATA

https://www.myataschool.com