• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Muso Shinden Ryu

tallgeese

Hey all, on the heels of my post in the thread on traditional weapons forms, I'm considering joining a nearby dojo that teaches the Muso Shinden Ryu style of iaido.

I've done the internet research on the form for a bit now, but I was wondering if any of the more traditonal minded crew here on KF had any experience with it personally (or other formal iaido training). If so, fill me in on what I couldn't find on the web.

I've got a couple of books on the art heading my way not, not to learn from but just to get an overall feel for the art. However, I know there are some guys and gals on here who've seen alot more classic arts than I have and I value your opinions.

The schedule would actaully fit into my already hectic martial arts regime without taking away from my main goal right now, to progress in BJJ. Further, the staff there seems very professional and I get a good, if formal :) , vibe from them. I think taking an authentic sword art would be an interesting step for me, considering I've actually gotten more into the art of things the last few years and the Japanese sword arts have always appealed.

I'm still in the planning phases of this but input would be welcome since this is a drastic departure from the level of formality I've been working with lately (read ever).

Thanks all.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I can't help you much here, but good luck with this experience, and please keep us posted as to how it goes for you.

I can't believe you can find so much time to train! You're lucky, man.

Neither can my wife :lol: .

All seriousness however, I do try to keep things balanced. Some weeks I'm more successful at this than others. I want to do some deep research on this on the front end, as well as make certain I can make the training time (luckily it's light, once per week at the Japanese Cultural center near me) before I jump in.

If I'm going to do it, I want to time it so I can do it consistently, not just be in and out. I'll keep you posted.

That is so cool. I've always wanted to take a up a sword style. How do you find the time? Lend me some! :P

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

If I'm going to do it, I want to time it so I can do it consistently, not just be in and out. I'll keep you posted.

I hear you there. My schedule is so inconsistent, and we are so busy with school stuff every weekend now, my Aikido time has taken a back seat again. But, we'll see if I can get anything worked out again over the next few weeks. Not being consistent sucks.

• 4 months later...
Hey all, on the heels of my post in the thread on traditional weapons forms, I'm considering joining a nearby dojo that teaches the Muso Shinden Ryu style of iaido.

I've done the internet research on the form for a bit now, but I was wondering if any of the more traditonal minded crew here on KF had any experience with it personally (or other formal iaido training). If so, fill me in on what I couldn't find on the web.

I've got a couple of books on the art heading my way not, not to learn from but just to get an overall feel for the art. However, I know there are some guys and gals on here who've seen alot more classic arts than I have and I value your opinions.

The schedule would actaully fit into my already hectic martial arts regime without taking away from my main goal right now, to progress in BJJ. Further, the staff there seems very professional and I get a good, if formal :) , vibe from them. I think taking an authentic sword art would be an interesting step for me, considering I've actually gotten more into the art of things the last few years and the Japanese sword arts have always appealed.

I'm still in the planning phases of this but input would be welcome since this is a drastic departure from the level of formality I've been working with lately (read ever).

Thanks all.

Hi Tallgeese,

Sorry, missed this post as I very rarely get out this way.

Did you train with these guys yet.

The Sosuishi-ryu syllabus has Iai / Batto jutsu in it, and it is great fun.

What are you after in training it?

Sojobo

I know violence isn't the answer... I got it wrong on purpose!!!

http://www.karatedo.co.jp/wado/w_eng/e_index.htm

Thanks for the reply. I've always been fascinated by sword arts. It's also a chance to work on something for no other reason than the art of it.

I have not had the chance to train yet. I finally had my schedule sorted out and then a BJJ tournament reared it's ugly head so I've been spending spare time getting in extra sessions for it.

Hopefully soon. Its still on my radar.

• 2 weeks later...

It's very exacting. Lots of repetition and attention to detail. I loved it, actually, during the year and a quarter I took it, but never could get the clothing down. Also, there is a great deal of attention to reiho/etiquette, almost more than to kata. Even though I enjoyed it, I found it a bit frustrating at times. Still, I hope to get back to it once I can ease up on my karate training a bit.

It's very exacting. Lots of repetition and attention to detail. I loved it, actually, during the year and a quarter I took it, but never could get the clothing down. Also, there is a great deal of attention to reiho/etiquette, almost more than to kata. Even though I enjoyed it, I found it a bit frustrating at times. Still, I hope to get back to it once I can ease up on my karate training a bit.

What was it with the clothing you struggled with?

sojobo

I know violence isn't the answer... I got it wrong on purpose!!!

http://www.karatedo.co.jp/wado/w_eng/e_index.htm

sojobo wrote:

What was it with the clothing you struggled with?

Well, for one thing the hakama never felt like it fit me correctly, even though I tried 2 different brands. I think they are made for people with skinnier hips, i.e., men. Also, the ends were always poking out of my obi, even though many people patiently explained the various ways of tying it, and I practiced and practiced at home. I am used to wearing a white gi, and I think that's the maximum amount of formality I feel comfortable with. Though I do understand that the precision of the ritual of tying on the obi, etc, is part of the training. I'm sure it's all my fault -- not enough patience or fine motor skills, I suppose. Maybe I'll try again some day.