• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

What does black-belt mean to you?

I see these threads about hard physical 1st dan black belt tests and threads about kids getting their 1st dan black-belts. It seems to me that the general public has overemphasized the value of a black-belt........Black-belts are not invincible!!! :roll: They are still human...There are just so many myths out there about blackbelt. To keep it simple, achieving a 1st dan black-belt is just covering the curriculum. Black-belt is also not the end of the journey of one martial arts learning...It's really the beginning...

Anyway what are some other myths you've heard about black-belts??? What does a black belt mean to you?

Kinesiologist/Trainer

Black-Belt

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I agree completely. Getting your 1st dan black is like graduating from kindergarten...a huge achievement at the time, but there's still more!

More myths that I have heard are about a blackbelt's age. I agree that a blackbelt is a respected rank, but is there REALLY any reason why an 8-year-old can't be respected? It may sound absurd, but slow down and think about it, and I think you might understand. Since blackbelt is just the beginning, people really shouldn't get so upset about it. If an 8-year-old finished college, everyone would freak out, but they'd be amazed--not angered.

I guess some people get upset about 8-y-o blackbelts because in some schools, blackbelt automatically equals instructor. Most 8-year-olds I know are still building their basic vocabulary, say nothing about TEACHING. Assisting with classes is quite different. There may be a rare case where it works, but they are very rare. But then again, I know of some 40-year-old blackbelts that I wouldn't want teaching me.

As you said, I believe the overblown image of the blackbelt is to blame. While blackbelts (and martial artists as a whole) try to be better than the average person, they're still human!

I'm not a blackbelt (yet), so I don't say this from personal experience, but I think I'm pretty close. That's my opinion, anyway--I'm sure we'll hear some others ;)

1st dan & Asst. Instructor TKD 2000-2003

No matter the tune...if you can rock it, rock it hard.

I believe the translation of 'shodan' is something akin to "first man". In the past in the orient the awarding of a black belt was a passage into "adulthood" in a way. Not necessarily in regards to age (usually at least 16 or so) but maturity and understanding and responsibility as well. It was the beginning of your training in that you were finally ready to learn the serious stuff... the "real" stuff... having reached a level where basics and form and control and understanding of concepts are no longer your primary obstacles.

So I guess that could explain why we're so wary of 8 year old (let alone 5 year old) black belts. We can't see how they could be at that level. Using this measuring stick, they probably aren't.

1st Dan Hapkido

Colored belts in Kempo and Jujitsu

Our dojo has the belt system, and personally I don't like it. In Japan, I was told the ninjutsu classes differentiate rank by simple, hardly-noticeable changes in the crests they wear (i.e., one crest will have a black border, another a white border). If I could, I'd wear a white belt forever, as a constant reminder that my "cup is always empty".

A black belt means that you have learned all the basics in your style and now its time to start your real training. To me its that plain and simple.

2nd Dan Hap Ki Do: What we do in life echos for an eternity!

to me black belt just means youve learned your abc's, now its time to start learning.Ive reached red in Muay Thai which is looked upon as an instructor but i'm just learning to put sentences together if you know what i mean.Unfortunately some people see black belt as the top of the hill but really the mist has just cleared!

pain is temporary, pride is forever!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I believe the translation of 'shodan' is something akin to "first man". In the past in the orient the awarding of a black belt was a passage into "adulthood" in a way. Not necessarily in regards to age (usually at least 16 or so) but maturity and understanding and responsibility as well. It was the beginning of your training in that you were finally ready to learn the serious stuff... the "real" stuff... having reached a level where basics and form and control and understanding of concepts are no longer your primary obstacles.

Great definition I agree completely :)

Goju Ryu Karate-do and Okinawan Kobudo, 17 Years Old 1st kyu Brown Belt in in Goju Ryu Karate-do, & Shodan in Okinawan Kobudo

Given enough time, any man may master the physical. With enough knowledge, any man may become wise. It is the true warrior who can master both....and surpass the result.

I AM CANADIAN

A myth I heard that I hate is that BB's are invincable. AH! I can beat two or three of the BB's in my school. Not that I'm great .... I wish. But, black belt is just a rank. It does not "show" someone's ability.

To me, a real black belt isn't concerned about thier rank. It's someone who trains hard, helps others, is humble, and last but not least, BB is just the "beginning". Color belts learn the basics. BB's learn how to use the basics, as well as becoming a better person.

Laurie F