• advertisement_alt

Open Tournaments

Kevin Wilson

Have you competed?  

10 members have voted

1. 1. Have you competed?

• I strugled with other styles.
    • I was ok with other styles.

Has any one here in karate competed in open competitions? I was thinking of participating in the Irish open as its suppose to be one of the biggest in Europe. Even though it open the videos I have seen seem to be of a more kick boxing with same kick being used over and over.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I have to go back, like way back, to get to a point in my life where I was doing karate tournies. However, I like open models quite a bit. Everyone looks a bit different, it's a good overview of what others are doing. Kata divisions can really be interesting, even if it's not your thing.

Defiantly go for it.

I've gone to a few open karate tournaments. The last was far enough back that kids born that your are driving now. Check your rules carefully, watch divisions before yours to get an idea. And then, relax, have fun and look at it as a chance to meet new folks, see some new styles and experiment in what you're doing a bit.

Kisshu fushin, Oni te hotoke kokoro. A demon's hand, a saint's heart. -- Osensei Shoshin Nagamine

I've judged and ref'd open tournaments for 25 years or so and would recommend them over a single style tournament any day.

If you want to test your sparring skills, open tournaments are the only way to go because yoyu are fighting against possibly Japanese, Korean, American and who knows what other systems, not just your own. in my experience, most systems all fight pretty mucgh the same, but there are differences.

Some systems use more kicks than others, and higher kicks. some systems view the groin as a viable target, others don't. Some systems use their hands a lot more than others, etc. As has been mentioned, watch as much as you can prior to your event to get a feel for what you're going to run into.

You might want to also check out a thread I posted a while back called From a Tournament Judge and Referee's Perspectiveon this topic.

GOOD LUCK!

If you don't want to stand behind our troops, please..feel free to stand in front of them.

Student since January 1975---4th Dan, retired due to non-martial arts related injuries.

• 2 months later...
What are open tornameants? How do you join?

Open tournaments are those that are open to ANY system to enter. IE: karate, TKD, kungfu, kenpo, etc. How do you join? Just show up and register.

If you don't want to stand behind our troops, please..feel free to stand in front of them.

Student since January 1975---4th Dan, retired due to non-martial arts related injuries.

I retired from active competitions in 1994, and open tournaments is all I did for 29 years. After that, I would judge or be an arbitrator. For me, I didn't like the idea of going up against those from my style because I knew them and their tactic ways, and going up against those not from my style was a total rush for me, no matter the divisions.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

I retired from active competitions in 1994, and open tournaments is all I did for 29 years. After that, I would judge or be an arbitrator. For me, I didn't like the idea of going up against those from my style because I knew them and their tactic ways, and going up against those not from my style was a total rush for me, no matter the divisions.

:)

The only way I know the tactics of anyone from my style is that I know them personally. Dang hybrid arts that encourage cross-training.

My fists bleed death. -Akuma