• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Western Martial Arts

The SCA means society for creative anachronism. They are a medieval reenactment society. They do have forms of sparring such as Heavy Combat, but these forms are not historical nor do they pretend to be. SCA Heavy Combat evolved completely on its own, and the best fighters develop distinct styles with thier own techniques and forms. Some of them even run schools and seminars. There is very real technique behind what they do, and good SCA guys can be a beast,.

(As an aside, a comprehensive study in how Heavy combat evolved over 50 years from a group a guys whiffing at each other with sticks into a what it has become would make an interesting topic for people who want to study how martial systems evolve)

While Heavy Combat is well suited for the style of sparring engaged in by the SCA, it is not a historical style and not considered a WMA by the HEMA community or by the SCA itself.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
The ARMA, formerly the HACA, was founded by John Clements, is based out of the U.S. (Texas, if memory serves me correctly). They are not a reinactment group but researchers reconstructing the authentic western martial arts traditions (at least as they see it).

Peace

Yes, not re-enactment, but research. I have all of Clements' books to date (I think...), and have enjoyed them all thoroughly. I only wish I had a crew to work with on that stuff. They are constantly working, studying texts, sparring, sparring, applying, and making sense of what was done all those years ago in our Western traditions. I'd recommend anything by Clements, and anything by anyone he recommends. There has even been some more stuff put out lately in regards to pole arms; I have that book on the shelf, and need to get to it!

The SCA means society for creative anachronism. They are a medieval reenactment society. They do have forms of sparring such as Heavy Combat, but these forms are not historical nor do they pretend to be. SCA Heavy Combat evolved completely on its own, and the best fighters develop distinct styles with thier own techniques and forms. Some of them even run schools and seminars. There is very real technique behind what they do, and good SCA guys can be a beast,.

(As an aside, a comprehensive study in how Heavy combat evolved over 50 years from a group a guys whiffing at each other with sticks into a what it has become would make an interesting topic for people who want to study how martial systems evolve)

While Heavy Combat is well suited for the style of sparring engaged in by the SCA, it is not a historical style and not considered a WMA by the HEMA community or by the SCA itself.

Right. Its basically stick fighting with armor on. Still, its a ton of fun! I can remember the bruises and batterings I took when we did it. I still have stick swords, shields, and armor in my garage, waiting for the dust to be knocked off....

Right. Its basically stick fighting with armor on. Still, its a ton of fun! I can remember the bruises and batterings I took when we did it. I still have stick swords, shields, and armor in my garage, waiting for the dust to be knocked off....

I'm in the same boat, busidoman :lol:

I do miss playing it. The things both of you mentioned are why I enjoyed is so much. Reasonable technique with what it's based on, no claims reconstruction of historical tactics used. Just a really cool full contact event.

I can see how someone wanting those things would be disenfranchised by the SCA.

• 2 weeks later...

I believe there are enclaves throughout the U.S. and Europe now; finding a branch in your general area shouldn't be that difficult if you forward requests for interaction on arma's site directly.

I'd just like to add that there is no need to limit yourself ARMA. There are many orgs doing this now, and the whole thing is growing very quickly.

The ARMA was the one addressed here. Certainly there are others. In New York, there's Master At Armes Ramon Martinez Renaissance Martial Arts school. He comes from an actual Western martial arts lineage in addition to his reconstruction research, as opposed to one only reconstructing Western martial arts.

I'm in the same boat, busidoman :lol:

I do miss playing it. The things both of you mentioned are why I enjoyed is so much. Reasonable technique with what it's based on, no claims reconstruction of historical tactics used. Just a really cool full contact event.

I can see how someone wanting those things would be disenfranchised by the SCA.

Reference the bold, I think one of the main beefs is the lack of taking cutting into account. Although there are some similarities between stick fighting and swords, the differences and nuances that are left out really take alot away. Some of the things like binding, and then grappling, and in sword/shield, the SCA doesn't allow the shield to be used to its potential, either. Many don't realize, but sword and shield really is a two-weapon system; the shield doesn't just hang on the arm.

But, for what it is, SCA is great fun, and you get loads of bruises and stories to tell.