• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Western Martial Arts

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Not with that organization, but I played in the SCA for quite a bit during my college years and some after. It's kind of authentic, but as with anything with imposed safety rules it can sometimes devolve. Overall, I enjoyed my time playing it.

As you can see by my verbage, I treated it like a combat sport, not a historical activity. My armor showed it to. I was less into authentic looking garb and more into full contact fighting with rattan.

The beauty of the organization was there was plenty of room for both. Worth a look. The SCA has groups just about everywhere.

Not with that organization, but I played in the SCA for quite a bit during my college years and some after. It's kind of authentic, but as with anything with imposed safety rules it can sometimes devolve. Overall, I enjoyed my time playing it.

As you can see by my verbage, I treated it like a combat sport, not a historical activity. My armor showed it to. I was less into authentic looking garb and more into full contact fighting with rattan.

The beauty of the organization was there was plenty of room for both. Worth a look. The SCA has groups just about everywhere.

Reenactment isn't my thing either. However, studying hand to hand combat most definitely is. Wish there was a place near me.

Matsubayashi Ryu

CMMACC (Certified Mixed Martial Arts Conditioning Coach)

Reenactment isn't my thing either. However, studying hand to hand combat most definitely is. Wish there was a place near me.

Sorry Ueshiro, I don't know your location and I'm old school net enough that I tend not to pry. But, go herehttp://www.thearma.org/ and see if you can find a training group. Even if there isn't one listed where you are, you used to be able to just e-mail the groups and they would put you in touch with someone close by. Nearest organized group was 2 hours from home back when I checked into things last. But, you may be luckier than I was and find someone close by.

Kisshu fushin, Oni te hotoke kokoro. A demon's hand, a saint's heart. -- Osensei Shoshin Nagamine

Sorry Ueshiro, I don't know your location and I'm old school net enough that I tend not to pry. But, go herehttp://www.thearma.org/ and see if you can find a training group. Even if there isn't one listed where you are, you used to be able to just e-mail the groups and they would put you in touch with someone close by. Nearest organized group was 2 hours from home back when I checked into things last. But, you may be luckier than I was and find someone close by.

No problem. I couldn't find a link on the website for a study group. Anyway, I really wouldn't have the time to study, but it would be nice to see it.

Matsubayashi Ryu

CMMACC (Certified Mixed Martial Arts Conditioning Coach)

No problem. I couldn't find a link on the website for a study group. Anyway, I really wouldn't have the time to study, but it would be nice to see it.

That's the website I was going to recommend. Lots of good resources there, and they have a list of books published by its members, who are always studying and learning. They also have info on setting up a study group and things like that. They have seminars throughout the year, in major metro areas, that you might get lucky enough to check out.

I try to but the books put out by their members, because they are great resources. Chivalry Bookshelf and Paladin Press also have great books authored by Medieval Martial Artists.

I used to have the website you have listed bookmarked, as well. I think that group is primarily located in Europe, though, but can't recall.

• 11 months later...

The ARMA, formerly the HACA, was founded by John Clements, is based out of the U.S. (Texas, if memory serves me correctly). They are not a reinactment group but researchers reconstructing the authentic western martial arts traditions (at least as they see it).

Peace