• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

The Tea Master and the Samurai (as told by MasterPain)

I was reminded of this story in another thread, and thought it would be a good idea to give my own retelling of it.

First off, the Tea Master is not just some dude who knows how to boil water and steep some Lipton teabags. In Fuedal Japan, the Tea Ceremony was Serious Business, and a thing of simple beauty. And this guy had mastered it. Before you make fun, remember that modern Western society has made Bieber rich, so take that to the bank and smoke it. Anyway, he was going to the Wal-Mart to buy some tea.

Now the samurai, being a post Tokagowa era samurai was not so much a soldier as a guy who played with weapons, wrote bad poetry, and got a check from the government. Think of guys on the Springer show for reference. he was going to the Wal-Mart to buy some mats to roll up and cut in his backyard.

Well, they bumped into each other in the discount aisle, and the Tea Master bumped the samurai's sword. This sent the samurai into a full-on nerd rage. It was as though someone deleted his level 60 night elf mage from his WoW account. He told the Tea Master that he was going to kill him, but he would do it at noon the next day in the parking lot so he didn't have to miss Jersey Shore. And if he didn't show up, he'd hunt him down.

The Tea Master got himself a sword in the sporting goods section, and went to the Master Swordsman's place over in the trailer park to ask for lessons. Also, he may have wet himself in terror, but that's neither here nor there.

The Master Swordsman agreed to teach him for a day, under the condition that he does not claim to be his student before going to a death match with one day of training, a tapout shirt, and a sideways ballcap. After several hours of practice, the Tea Master was still just awful with a sword.

The Master Swordsman gave up, and told the Tea Master that he was going to die, and that he should make him some tea for his trouble anyway.

As the Tea Master set about the ceremony, a change came over him. His shoulders straightened, his eyes grew calm, he stopped shaking. He was only doing what he had practiced for hours and hours, His Self had fallen away and there was only the ceremony. The master swordsman saw that he was in a state of mushin.

"Stop," he said, "Do you want to kill your enemy?" he asked.

"Yes, but you said I was going to die." replied the Tea master.

"Well, You are going to die, you're a terrible swordsman, and there is nothing we can do about that. You're like the William Hung of swordsmanship. I mean, your just awful. I had no idea someone could knock the wind out of themselves with a hilt drawing their sword. And is your hair shorter than it was? You are going to die at noon, but if you want to kill your enemy, then do what you are doing right now."

"But I'm doing nothing."

"Exactly" said the Swordsman, "when you meet him, do so in the state of mind you have now. Just raise your sword, and do nothing but cut and die."

When he met the Samurai, he raised his sword above his head and waited. The samurai no longer saw a frightened, shivering man, he saw a calm man ready to kill and die. The Tea Master had transformed, like Goku turned blonde, into Death Incarnate. The Samurai said "I cannot defeat you", turned and left. He also may have wet himself, but that is neither her nor there.

My fists bleed death. -Akuma

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was reminded of this story in another thread, and thought it would be a good idea to give my own retelling of it.

First off, the Tea Master is not just some dude who knows how to boil water and steep some Lipton teabags. In Fuedal Japan, the Tea Ceremony was Serious Business, and a thing of simple beauty. And this guy had mastered it. Before you make fun, remember that modern Western society has made Bieber rich, so take that to the bank and smoke it. Anyway, he was going to the Wal-Mart to buy some tea.

Now the samurai, being a post Tokagowa era samurai was not so much a soldier as a guy who played with weapons, wrote bad poetry, and got a check from the government. Think of guys on the Springer show for reference. he was going to the Wal-Mart to buy some mats to roll up and cut in his backyard.

Well, they bumped into each other in the discount aisle, and the Tea Master bumped the samurai's sword. This sent the samurai into a full-on nerd rage. It was as though someone deleted his level 60 night elf mage from his WoW account. He told the Tea Master that he was going to kill him, but he would do it at noon the next day in the parking lot so he didn't have to miss Jersey Shore. And if he didn't show up, he'd hunt him down.

The Tea Master got himself a sword in the sporting goods section, and went to the Master Swordsman's place over in the trailer park to ask for lessons. Also, he may have wet himself in terror, but that's neither here nor there.

The Master Swordsman agreed to teach him for a day, under the condition that he does not claim to be his student before going to a death match with one day of training, a tapout shirt, and a sideways ballcap. After several hours of practice, the Tea Master was still just awful with a sword.

The Master Swordsman gave up, and told the Tea Master that he was going to die, and that he should make him some tea for his trouble anyway.

As the Tea Master set about the ceremony, a change came over him. His shoulders straightened, his eyes grew calm, he stopped shaking. He was only doing what he had practiced for hours and hours, His Self had fallen away and there was only the ceremony. The master swordsman saw that he was in a state of mushin.

"Well, You are going to die, you're a terrible swordsman, and there is nothing we can do about that. You're like the William Hung of swordsmanship. I mean, your just awful. I had no idea someone could knock the wind out of themselves with a hilt drawing their sword. And is your hair shorter than it was? You are going to die at noon, but if you want to kill your enemy, then do what you are doing right now."

"But I'm doing nothing."

"Exactly" said the Swordsman, "when you meet him, do so in the state of mind you have now. Just raise your sword, and do nothing but cut and die."

When he met the Samurai, he raised his sword above his head and waited. The samurai no longer saw a frightened, shivering man, he saw a calm man ready to kill and die. The Tea Master had transformed, like Goku turned blonde, into Death Incarnate. The Samurai said "I cannot defeat you", turned and left. He also may have wet himself, but that is neither her nor there.

Nice..

Who ever you were aiming that at should be flattered you went to such lengths.

Sojobo

I know violence isn't the answer... I got it wrong on purpose!!!

http://www.karatedo.co.jp/wado/w_eng/e_index.htm

The book where I first read this story was given to me for Christmas in 98. The story stuck with me, and I felt that if I was to tell it, I should do it in my own fashion.

"But I'm doing nothing."

I was told this fable by Masterpain shortly after i began martial arts in 2007. I seems that this story is the basis for many martial arts sayings, "Be Like Water" for example is just a way of saying to "let go". To fully express oneself you must have an empty mind. Whether it be Boxing, Grappling, Kata, Sparring, Golf, Basketball, Ice skating, water polo, Shooting, or Basketweaving. We are at are best when we let go of the conscious mind.

For example, Masterpain competed in mma competitions a few years back, during one of his fights he executed beautiful techniques en route to a rear naked choke victory. Afterwards he admitted to having no clue how he had one the fight. He physically could not remember the fight. This would be an example of letting the unconcsious mind take over and letting yourself go.

Since Masterpain is far to modest to brag on himself. i thought i would do it for him. :lol:

The book where I first read this story was given to me for Christmas in 98. The story stuck with me, and I felt that if I was to tell it, I should do it in my own fashion.

In the real version did the Samurai actually let out a bit of wee? or is that your embellishment?

Sojobo

If you are being honest - was the whole post because of the my Ninjutsu comment? Be honest, after all this is what is great about this board that we can all speak freely and are very polite to one and other.

Sojobo

No, Tallgeese mentioned a book called Living the Martial Way. That reminded me of the Tea Master and the Samurai, which is a very old story, meant to convey the value of Mushin. That book was where I first heard this story. It has been told and retold several times, usually with small differences, but always with the Tea Master meeting the Samurai, sword raised with his heart and mind clear and free of distraction and attachment to preconceived ideas.