• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

How do you cope with fatigue?

When you're really really tired while sparring, how do you manage to keep going? There has to be something that keeps your hands up and legs moving when your whole body tells you to give up?

"People study from boredom. They fall in love, get married and reproduce from boredom. And finally die from boredom." -Georg Buchner

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

A big part of not getting fatigued while sparring is knowing when to rest and when to relax. Finding a place to grab a clinch for a few seconds, grab a few breaths and evaluate the situation.

However, it can be difficult when outclassed by an opponent who is constantly coming forward. I suggest pre-emptive measures such as working cardio with a cardio or some other device that restricts oxygen.

Oh, right, there's that side too. :D

I was thinking about the mental attitude. But that's very true, and to remember to breath right etc.

"People study from boredom. They fall in love, get married and reproduce from boredom. And finally die from boredom." -Georg Buchner

Well.. I have warrior cardio but what I still try is to not necessarily work for a dominant position but a position that I can do nothing while making the opponent work still... Say a certain hold down or just standing far back even just works

"ok, well i must warn you, im an orange belt on karateforums!"

Eat more donuts, develop good takedowns and side control. Then take them down and lay on them while talking about cheesecake. That's what I do.

Or you could take GOOD advice, and listen to the other guys. Though I will say you should always look for dominant position.

For the mental aspect, think of what you least favorite fighter does in training. I remind myself that Tito Ortiz would keep going. That makes me angry and indignant enough to push myself harder.

My fists bleed death. -Akuma

Sport specific conditioning for sure. Long, slow cardio as well, along with weight lifting out side of class time is highly helpful as well.

Now physically, during the fight, relax. Again, relax. It's the big usual reason that people gas. Burning energy needlessly or being tight when you don't need to be is a major factor in killing of levels of efficiency. Lean where to relax and where not to. And how to transition between the two. If you learn to read these times, you'll immediately have more energy long term.

Mentally, that's another story. This is something that is hard to teach. It can be refined, molded, but it is very hard to create. Not saying it can't be done, because I've seen it happen, but I don't really know how. I'd start with reading the works of great thinkers on the subject of warriorship...Musashi (duh), Morgan (Living the martial Way), Grossman (On Combat), Howe (Leadership and Training for the Fight). There are plenty of others, these stand out to me. If they don't inspire a person, not much will.

On another note, don't disregard MP's advice. Attaining dominate position will burn less energy than attempting to achieve it. It doesn't mean just grappling, it means any art. It's up to the practitioner to find it's dominate position and how to work that to his or her advantage. It also means dissecting what you do with your strategy and your training. Depending on how you work certain aspects of your game, it's possible that a position that could be considered non-dominate to some is incredibly dominating for you.

Well you've got your prep and cardio side which everyone's pretty much covered. On the mental side, for me, I just think how I've only got 30 secs (or whatever) of the bout to go and I've got to win it before I can go home and relax. No matter how bad I feel, its a kill or be killed type of situation and if I can't be bothered to work for it I might as well throw in the towel and stop the fight there. I really got pushed at the last competition I did where I knew I only had 20secs left and was absolutely about ready to keel over. But I knew if I didn't find something, I'd lose the bout and wouldn't make it through to the next round and it'd be a wasted trip. That's what works for me. I think you just have to find something that makes you want to keep going no matter how much it hurts.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

Relax, get in the center where they have to come to you, and toss easy things that make them have to do the running around and exercize. Lots of flourishes and feints. Remember to breathe. Use proper dynamics - use falling, use alignment, use gravity, use stored energy and the like instead of powering your way through movements. Capitalize on every one of their attacks that you can - don't do any defenses that don't end up clobbering them.

"Anything worth doing is worth doing badly." - Baleia

In the words of Locutus of Borg..."Sleep...Sleep, Data"

Sleep is the best cure when one is suffering from fatigue. As MAist's, we're always encouraged to train/work through the fatigue...Shugyo...suck it up, but that can lead to mistakes and mistakes can cause injuries.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!