• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

judo match #1 = victory

Well it was not a sanctioned match but I beat him in randori so u better believe he was trying. We had been going standing and I hit him with a pppeeerrrfect ouichi gari and went straight to kesa ketame. Realizing techniques we have been learning I didn't want him to escape from my hold down... So with the forward leg I threw an armbar. Now he both has a hold down going and the armbar... He's not tapping... I pull it tighter.. and tighter... Just before ippon from the hold down he taps. The most amazing feeling ever. Great fun. So happy to b part of it!

"ok, well i must warn you, im an orange belt on karateforums!"

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

well I was much more excited abt my first one than my second match lol.but Saul good. so far in randori at my dojo I am 2-1 the loss was to a brown belt... I am white... my two wins is against orange and white belts Haha

"ok, well i must warn you, im an orange belt on karateforums!"

We all love to win bouts, it's human nature. Just remember that the more you can take the desire to "win" against teammates, the quicker you'll learn. Focusing on beating classmates at all costs puts you in the mindset of needing to win, that means that even subconsciously you're going to start bringing your A-game. Because you need the "win".

Unfortunately, this means that your A game is all that gets worked, you get too nervous to just try other things because you don't want to "loose". Loosing inter-club "matches" is a huge part learning.

It's good you're doing well. You should be applauded. Just be careful about looking at anything at the inter-club level as anything but learning. Keep the scorecard for the tournies. Even then, don't get to caught up in it. It doesn't reflect anything but a snapshot of skills on the mat that day.

What's more important is where your skill is compared to where it was even yesterday. How much has the movement of the art become part of you.

That said, and it's a caution I put out to just about everyone, good job on your progress.