• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Getting back into Karate ...16 years later

tokyothekid

Long post, but I'm giving some background info and also venting about other things :)

Use to live in Japan up until I was 9 years old. I took Karate for a few years, and I remembered I loved it a lot and my Sensei was great. When I moved to California my mom tried getting me into Karate again but we didn't know about the the different dojos.

I joined United Studios of Self Defense when I moved to California and immediately I remember the quality of instruction was crappy. The guy who taught me looked to be in his 20's, and wanted me to buy all the gear when it was my first day and wanted to test me to be a green belt, since I was a yellow belt back in Japan.

Now fast forward 14 years from that point. There is a local USSD in my town with a slime ball salesman karate instructor. Everyday I see him run around the shopping center parking lot asking everyone to take his classes. Even people who obviously would never take classes he asks. He's tried his sales tactics on me multiple times, even when I was eating at a sandwich shop next to the studio one time.

Fast forward another 2 years - present day. Now that I'm finished with college and looking to go into a career of law enforcement, I'm looking for a place that is very traditional teaching in Karate and Jujutsu. Most places where I live there's USSD, Z ultimate <---wtf??? and Gracie Jiujitsu <-- not bad but doesn't teach karate, or just childrens karate.

Now I have found 1 location. USA Wadu Ryu Karate located in a non-high traffic part of town. The Sensei has many years of experience, and the dojo also teach other classes as well by other instructors like Judo, Akido, Akijutsu, and more.

Going to check it out and see how it is. Wish me luck!

Here is a website http://www.usawadoryu.com/

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

First of all...Welcome to KF!!!!!!!

Secondly, from what I was able ascertain from it's website, and I'm happy to see that you've already made plans to visit this dojo. I'd encourage you to watch a few classes, not just one, before making a decision one way or another. It's very difficult to decide anything from just checking out the website. Proof is on the floor, that's why I'm encouraging you to visit this dojo more than one time.

You've already a general awareness of what to expect, as well as an ability to garner what's right or wrong and what looks strange and what looks normal from your prior exposure to karate when you lived in Japan.

I wish you luck, and let us know how the visits went and what you've decided on.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

First of all...Welcome to KF!!!!!!!

Secondly, from what I was able ascertain from it's website, and I'm happy to see that you've already made plans to visit this dojo. I'd encourage you to watch a few classes, not just one, before making a decision one way or another. It's very difficult to decide anything from just checking out the website. Proof is on the floor, that's why I'm encouraging you to visit this dojo more than one time.

You've already a general awareness of what to expect, as well as an ability to garner what's right or wrong and what looks strange and what looks normal from your prior exposure to karate when you lived in Japan.

I wish you luck, and let us know how the visits went and what you've decided on.

:)

So important to visit a place multiple times. Make sure the quality is there and the chemistry is right.

Matsubayashi Ryu

CMMACC (Certified Mixed Martial Arts Conditioning Coach)

Long post, but I'm giving some background info and also venting about other things :)

Use to live in Japan up until I was 9 years old. I took Karate for a few years, and I remembered I loved it a lot and my Sensei was great. When I moved to California my mom tried getting me into Karate again but we didn't know about the the different dojos.

I joined United Studios of Self Defense when I moved to California and immediately I remember the quality of instruction was crappy. The guy who taught me looked to be in his 20's, and wanted me to buy all the gear when it was my first day and wanted to test me to be a green belt, since I was a yellow belt back in Japan.

Now fast forward 14 years from that point. There is a local USSD in my town with a slime ball salesman karate instructor. Everyday I see him run around the shopping center parking lot asking everyone to take his classes. Even people who obviously would never take classes he asks. He's tried his sales tactics on me multiple times, even when I was eating at a sandwich shop next to the studio one time.

Fast forward another 2 years - present day. Now that I'm finished with college and looking to go into a career of law enforcement, I'm looking for a place that is very traditional teaching in Karate and Jujutsu. Most places where I live there's USSD, Z ultimate <---wtf??? and Gracie Jiujitsu <-- not bad but doesn't teach karate, or just childrens karate.

Now I have found 1 location. USA Wadu Ryu Karate located in a non-high traffic part of town. The Sensei has many years of experience, and the dojo also teach other classes as well by other instructors like Judo, Akido, Akijutsu, and more.

Going to check it out and see how it is. Wish me luck!

Here is a website http://www.usawadoryu.com/

An acquaintance of mine who sits fairly high up in the Wado tree in the USA speaks highly of Shoji Nishimura.

Nishimura's group is (I believe) affiliated to the Wado-Ryu Renmei (Otsuka II's group) so you will be in good hands by the sounds of it.

You mention however about also learning Jujutsu. Whilst its fair to say that Wado has jujutsu as part of its make up, it is probably not the jujutsu you are thinking of, so don't expect too much - particularly early on in your training.

[edit] I just re-read your post and see that the school also teaches Judo, Aikido and Aiki-jutsu - which may satisfy your jujutsu requirements.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Sojobo

I know violence isn't the answer... I got it wrong on purpose!!!

http://www.karatedo.co.jp/wado/w_eng/e_index.htm