• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Ippon Kumite

Willard814

I signed up to compete at the East Coast ISKF 24th Annual Fall Camp and Goodwill Tournament, September 16th, 17th, & 18th, 2011. I am a yellow belt and I have just learned to remember Heian Nidan, I consider myself to be pretty good with the skill I have learned so far. My question is how does one win a match of Ippon Kumite?

There is no superior style only different levels...

Huo Yianjia

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Over to the rest of you guys, I practice knock-down kumite

"Challenge is a Dragon with a Gift in its mouth....Tame the Dragon and the Gift is Yours....." Noela Evans (author)

Over to the rest of you guys, I practice knock-down kumite

I could be wrong, but in this context I think the op is referring to "one step" pre-arranged sparring (Yakusoku Kumite).

If this is the case, you are probably judged in pairs - ie you and your partner versus another pair.

Sojobo

I know violence isn't the answer... I got it wrong on purpose!!!

http://www.karatedo.co.jp/wado/w_eng/e_index.htm

In regular training, Ippon Kumite can be a form of pre-arranged or semi-free sparring.

In competitions, Ippon Kumite can be a form of sparring where the first clean, precise technique that lands on the other competitor can win the match. Techniques that are below perfect but still warrant appreciation are awarded Waza-Ari, or Half Point.

As far as I know, it's an older form of competition. Not many competition circuits in Australia still practise it.

Its the only type of competition we used to do as there wasn't many spectators any way.

Its not a spectator sport as competitor are very wary of each other half points are a little useless and even they are rarely give. One good technique and its over. I rarely seen ippon matches go past the minute mark. Most matches are won with a reverse punch

If there are any spectators they normally dont even see the point as there quick and generally not as sloppy as 3 point sparring

If the OP is referring to Shiai kumite with a single point to win it is usually referred to as Shobu Ippon.

Sojobo

I know violence isn't the answer... I got it wrong on purpose!!!

http://www.karatedo.co.jp/wado/w_eng/e_index.htm

Its the only type of competition we used to do as there wasn't many spectators any way.

Its not a spectator sport as competitor are very wary of each other half points are a little useless and even they are rarely give. One good technique and its over. I rarely seen ippon matches go past the minute mark. Most matches are won with a reverse punch

If there are any spectators they normally dont even see the point as there quick and generally not as sloppy as 3 point sparring

The only Ippon Kumite I've seen were the AAU format for black belt only. A single point wins, with the technical requirements being very high to actually get that point. It lead to some very serious study and cautions approach of the competitors. Then a explosion of close in technique that was hard to follow, but very clean. Often with a lot more stiff contact than other forms of sparring. Usually the only spectators were other martial artists who were either competing in the event, or appreciated the format and stayed to watch as it was always held last in the day.

Kisshu fushin, Oni te hotoke kokoro. A demon's hand, a saint's heart. -- Osensei Shoshin Nagamine

Imho, what's mainly looked at by the judges is not the manner of creating a ippon kumite wow factor, no, it's the effectiveness of what's being displayed on the floor. Flash is not for Ippon Kumite!!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

ISKF ippon kumite matches are two minutes long non-contact with one clean (ippon) or two "nearly finished" (waza-ri) techniques deciding the winner.

Starting out?

1) practice jabbing with authority. Jabs don't usually score but it help you learn your distance going in and finding your distance during the bout (ala boxers in the first round) Distance is the number one reason techniques are waved off in the junior ranks. To tell you the truth it drives the officials crazy.

2) practice your outside block (jodan and chudan) reverse punch counter. Confidence with that takes away the fear factor when it comes to setting yourself up in the hot zone. Scores a lot, too.

3) learn your distance with front kicks and make a point of getting used to recoiling fully and stepping down with authority. (and unless you enjoy getting them bent down from a lousy lousy block, coil your toes!!!!) In the junior ranks especially a decent front kick followed by a strong oi-zuki generally gets the opponent running for the hills and puts them a half stance away from jogai with little room to manouver.

4) speaking of oi-zuki, its actually a great technique to have in your quiver at any level. Practice landing it in a strong stance that's properly balanced so you can continue to the next technique in any direction. It covers a lot of ground so it gives you two levels of attack (kick or punch) at the far end of the hot zone. It gives your opponent (the smart ones, anyway) more to worry about sitting in the chute.

It doesn't take a lot of variety to be effective in kumite. Confidence without recklessness is half the battle.

Watch the senior ranks. The reason they're so fast is their stances are solid enough (even the bouncy ones) to turn impulse into speed.

Injuries: The only really serious injuries I've seen coming out of the junior ranks are self-inflicted, usually pulls and tears from overextending. Keep your cool and know your limits.

good luck. have fun. dont' worry about getting bopped a couple of times. unless the guy is huge and you're so focused on attack you don't react in defense the worst that'll happen is maybe possibly a cracked nose that doesn't need resetting. It's kind of like having a cold.

we all have our moments