Heavyweight gi vs lightweight gi

Kevin Wilson

Heavyweight gi vs lightweight gi  

16 members have voted

1. 1. Heavyweight gi vs lightweight gi

• Heavyweight Karate gi
    • Lightweight Karate gi
    • Not Sure ?

Does any one else find that with the advances in materials and construction techniques that lightweight gi's seem to be becoming the better option now ? Obviously you dont get the same snap but some people that are getting a good snap are doing the technique wrong .

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I've mostley worn judo and jiu jitsu gis. I have an ironman for my traditional training. I just feel if someone gets a good grip on a light weight gi that the collar will tear loose easily. I think a heavy weight gi will hold up over time better than a light weight gi. True todays contruction is better than years past but an 8 oz gi will not stand to the same abuse that a 14 oz will. I'm sure if I can grip a bjj gi and rip the collar loose from the body I can easily do the same for a light weight gi. Heavier is better in my opinion.

Lol I did mean for karate sorry . Yea I would not even attempt to were an 8oz judo gi . The smallest ive seen is 12 oz and they go up to an amazing 33oz I dont think I could were that !

Still wouldn't really recommend 8oz for karate but I think 10oz does it these days there is no need for 16oz karate gi's

I've torn a few modern 14oz karate gi's, but we include grappling techniques in our karate so that does somewhat change what we need in a uniform. The modern lightweights might last longer than old-school heavyweights, but modern heavyweights still outlast modern lightweights. Besides, lightweight ones always look like you're wearing a wet sheet over your shoulders--I, personally, look pretty sickly when I wear a lightweight one :P

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Light gis are more comfortable and breathe more easily (which is great here where it's always hot and humid). Heavy gis feel more like my everyday attire and allow for more snap during kata. I guess it really depends on the situation, but generally speaking, I prefer lighter gis. They really make you work for that snap.

I didn't mind a light gi.... wore them for years as i was going up in the kyu grades.. then i got to 4th kyu (purple belt) and now i'll never wear a light weight go for anything other than competition kumite. swear by a heavy weight.