• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Should I take up Kung Fu?

I used to hold a second degree brown belt in Seidokan Karate (well I guess I still kinda technically do...idk) but I quit back in January.

I quit because I was so frustrated with how I could never kick right due to my flat feet; I'd foolishly started wearing inserts in my shoes in the second half of 2010 and they rapidly weakened my foot muscles and my kicks declined just as rapidly.

Nothing improved it and I gave up; it was amazingly discouraging not being able to kick the bag-holder back with a side kick like I used to be able to, and the way I started stumbling with even basic kicks.

Now I'm starting college and I know my college offers Kung Fu as a "gym" class.

Do you think it would be a good idea for me to start it, seeing as how I have 5+ years prior experience in martial arts?

Or will it just be the same with my kicks and I'll give up with Kung Fu if I did with Karate?

I know Kung Fu has more circular, fluid movements typical apparently of Chinese styles as compared to the "choppier" moves of Karate.

I've seen Kung Fu demos at my old dojo and martial arts tournaments and their kata (is it the same word?) are beautiful; such cool hand techniques we don't have in Karate!

Anyway, what do you think about Kung Fu, in a college class environment, considering my prior experience with Karate and that I have stupidly flat feet?

Thank you!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Depends on the style of kungfu, and your goals for training.

If it's kicks that give you trouble, have you looked into something kickless? Boxing (dunno if the feet would be an issue here), aikido, judo, BJJ or similar? Maybe something to strengthen your arches - barefoot walking or similar?

"Anything worth doing is worth doing badly." - Baleia

I think starting Kung Fu would be a great idea. I'm sure with the input from a good instructor, you can figure out how to work around your flat feet, and have a great deal of success. But, it won't happen if you don't give it a try.

Good luck! :karate:

In some kung fu styles they have very little kicks. Although instructor will always affect to these things.

I don't see why shouldn't you start it? Give it a try since you're interested. Got nothing to lose?? :)

"People study from boredom. They fall in love, get married and reproduce from boredom. And finally die from boredom." -Georg Buchner

• 4 weeks later...

Hi robothat

I have a couple of people i teach that have done other styles from black belt taekwondo to 2nd dan goju ryu karate. They find it hard to adapt but it takes time as they have had that blue print of those styles impressed on them

I always tell them don't forget what they have learned as it is useful just use it in a different way. Kung fu suits the body not you suit kung fu. If you are a kicker or a puncher it will bring he best out of you.

I have many good kickers as well as punchers in my class some can even kick better than i but as i point out to them You can have a formula one car outside but can you drive.

It depends on how adaptive your are and how you want to be

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

You ought to share with us what the class descriptions say - and if it mentions a specific style, what that is; then we could probably help a bit more specifically.

In general, many TCMA (Traditional Chinese Martial Arts) or Kung Fu styles will emphasize what is called the "horse stance" in the beginning. Although this is boring as hell - it helps to stretch and strengthen the legs - so this might help.

Also the style plays a major role in your specific situation. Some styles are extremely kick-less and some may have kicks, but they remain below the hip or waist height.

For example, you won't find Wing Chun or Xingyiquan folks kicking very high, and there are others.

HiYaa Martial Arts Podcast

https://www.hiyaapodcast.com

• 2 weeks later...

One thing you can do to strengthen your feet and build arches is crumble newspaper with your toes. My teacher has flat feet due to his arches decreasing from years of being barefoot on the donor floor. This has worked well for him and is something you could do while sitting and watching TV or reading a book.

"Live life easy and peacefully, but when it is time to fight become ferocious."

One thing you can do to strengthen your feet and build arches is crumble newspaper with your toes. My teacher has flat feet due to his arches decreasing from years of being barefoot on the donor floor. This has worked well for him and is something you could do while sitting and watching TV or reading a book.

Now that's a pretty cool idea! I have a flat-footed buddy of mine who also mentioned this exercise.

HiYaa Martial Arts Podcast

https://www.hiyaapodcast.com