• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

National Blackbelt League and Sport Karate

quinteros1963

About a year ago I was exposed to my first "national" sport karate tournament. I was surprised to see many world champions in one place. The experience led me to wonder what it takes to become a world champion? So I started competing in several tournaments to find out first hand. The season is not over yet but I'm well on my way to qualifying to compete for a "world title."

I fall somewhere in the middle between traditional and sport karate. Competition is fun, you meet new people and there are very few injuries. Still it seems to take away from why I believe karate was created. What do you think of circuits like the NBL and what they are doing to or for karate?

The past is no more; the future is yet to come. Nothing exist except for the here and now. Our grand business is not to see what lies dimly at a distance, but to do what's clearly is clearly at hand...Lets continue to train!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I don't give NBL and the like a second thought. They serve their purpose(s) for those who need/like them for whatever reason(s).

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

I agree with sensei8 on this one, for the most part. I don't worry about "what these circuits do to Karate." Its those who practice Karate that do whatever is done to it. The Japanese who came to lead Shotokan after Funakoshi started the whole tournament thing, and it has grown from there. Its really been a natural progression.

I think competitions have their place, and I also believe that competition is not for everyone. For those who do it, I think it becomes a great facet of enjoyment and accomplishment. To compete on a national level like that is something I was never able to do, so I think its a great accomplishment for those who can.

• 3 months later...

I got an invitation to compete in the NBL Grandnationals this December by finishing in the top five in my region, but I am not going to attend. Just sharing...

The past is no more; the future is yet to come. Nothing exist except for the here and now. Our grand business is not to see what lies dimly at a distance, but to do what's clearly is clearly at hand...Lets continue to train!

I got an invitation to compete in the NBL Grandnationals this December by finishing in the top five in my region, but I am not going to attend. Just sharing...

Congrats :) If you don't mind me asking, why aren't you competing?

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

The event is during the holiday season this December in California (which is not a huge problem, but is a hike) and I have some nagging injuries that need to heal. I'll be back at it (NBL, USA-KF and USA-NKF) hard for 2012!